We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking food on trains with IRCTC

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
Booking food on trains with IRCTC
Save

Hi,

Had anyone managed to book food through the catering service from outside of India? If so how?

It won’t accept my mobile number as it’s longer then an Indian number, therefore I can’t preceed with my booking and the customer service’s answer was call the hotline, which is only going to work once in India ( although will try my luck at some point).

Can anyone help?

William

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
83 reviews
173 helpful votes
1. Re: Booking food on trains with IRCTC
Save

In 2016 in our travels, I did book the e-catering services at several stations all over the center, eastern and northern part of India. But I couldn't pay online with a foreign credit card. So I had to use an Indian intermediary

to make the bookings.

One good thing is that there is no urgency needed here as you would need for train tickets booking. So you can order pretty much up until your travel days when you are in India.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Booking food on trains with IRCTC
Save

Thanks for the answer. That was my presumption, I can ring the service number when in India and book then. Why they’d need more than 24 hours notice, would be weird. But you can’t pay with a foreign card? Visa/ MasterCard etc are international that’s the whole idea!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
83 reviews
173 helpful votes
3. Re: Booking food on trains with IRCTC
Save

Then it was only AMEX card which could be used from abroad. I didn't have one.

But there was nothing to do with foreign mobile number registration then, it was just a blanket ban on all foreign cards apart from Amex. It is possible things may have changed today.

Edited: 3 years ago
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Booking food on trains with IRCTC
Save

Seems to be all about mobile numbers when signing up nowadays! Lol.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Booking food on trains with IRCTC
Save

I had the same problem when registering with IRCTC in the first place

6. Re: Booking food on trains with IRCTC

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Bundi
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.