We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

munnar to coorg

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
munnar to coorg

I am planning to go to munnar to coorg by road. From the map the distance from munnar to coorg is about 450km. is it possible to cover in a day? can anyone suggest a car hire company to do so? how many hours should it take and how will be roads in October?

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: munnar to coorg

It is not advisable to travel that much in a single day. road condition is not much good in Kerala after mansoon. most of the places we cant go above 50 kmph. Hope you already taking a vehicle for going Munnar, please check with them about rate. normal rate for non ac indica car is Rs. 7 per km.

Boston...
Level Contributor
173 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: munnar to coorg

Munnar to Coorg may not look too far on the map (especially google map). I agree with Sanguine's response. You can make it in a day, but next couple of days you will be spending recovering form the road trip. Condition of roads are bad after the monsoon. I just got back from Kerala. Roads could get really bad in and around the hills of western ghats in Kerala and Coorg.

If you are open to it, I would recommend the following:

Munnar - Cochin - By road (car or bus)

Cochin - Tellicherry - By Train

Tellicherry - Coorg - By road (car or bus). It's only 2.5 hours to 4 hours from Tellicherry depending on where you are going in Coorg. (This road was recently laid. It was almost non-existent for the last few years).

Let me know if this works for you. I can find some car hires for you from Tellicherry.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: munnar to coorg

If you are driving yourself, one full day is required to reach coorg from munnar and you may enjoy long drive (opt for this only if you enjoy driving) or better to take bus to reach coorg.

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: munnar to coorg

Hi

The ideal road route (500 Kms) if you have the time to break it into two sections would be as follows: The roads all through this route are good.

Munnar - Chinnar - Udumalpet - Pollachi - Coimbatore (160 Kms) - Mettupalayam - Coonoor - Ooty (90 Kms) - Kallati - Masinagudi - Bandipur - (40 Kms) Gundalpet - Nanjangode - Mysore (90 Kms) - Coorg (120 Kms).

If you can get to Ooty from Munnar (250 Kms), you could possibly spend a day at Ooty or Masinagudi or Bandipur (which is part of the famous Mudumalai bio reserve) and then move over to Coorg via Mysore the next day. The entire route is scenic and the drive would be a memorable one.

regards

Rajan

Edited: 18 September 2010, 18:38
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: munnar to coorg

I would appreciate if you can help me with car hire from tellichery to coorg

6. Re: munnar to coorg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 11:50