We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moorea

Greenwood, Indiana
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Moorea

We will be in Moorea mid Feb and rented a Bugster for 3 days. Are there remote roads going to remote beaches we can go on?

Thanks!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Moorea

You mean to drive the bugster on the beach? Or to go walking on where there are no people? Honestly, there is one main road around Moorea and it's a small island... there's nothing "remote" about it except that it's fantastically, wonderfully in the middle of the South Pacific :) You can usually see the lagoon from the main road, except for the bit around the airport/golf course.

There are two main public beaches--one up the road from the Hilton and the other is Temae. Depending on time of day/day of the week, we've found both to be empty, nearly empty, or jam-packed with holidaying Tahitians (which is loads of fun too--just a different experience!). Usually, the public beach near the Hilton is empty on weekdays... but that's a "park on the main road and walk fifty yards to your right" kind of thing.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Moorea

Actually, all the beaches on Moorea are "public" -- open to all the world. The problem is finding access in some places; many beaches would require you to walk across private property. There are no beaches that I know of that you can access by driving your bugster on the beach.

Mid-February can be very rainy, and a bugster might not be the most comfortable way to drive around; I'd recommend just renting a car instead.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Moorea

I would recommend hiring a proper car instead.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
26 posts
60 reviews
4. Re: Moorea

I agree with the comment above me. PLEASE hire a regular normal car instead.

The buggy/roadster are cool looking and cute but they are NOT comfortable. Especially when it starts to pour. They're so close to the ground you'll feel every single bump on the road - for a few hours they're ok but DEFINITELY not recommended for 3-4 days...hire a normal car through Albert's. It costs less than the buggy (at least it did for us). A car from Albert's is around $100 USD a day...give or take...I think we rented the buggy through IC Moorea and it was the same amount for 4 hours...

5. Re: Moorea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 00:47