We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overwater for 8 days?

seattle
4 posts
overwater for 8 days?

We have decided to stay at the Pearl Moorea and Le Meridian Bora Bora. Initially we thought it be best to stay in POWB for our entire stay since it is our honeymoon. We definitely want to have the "dream" honeymoon, but we definitely don't want to be throwing money around. So my questions are these for both hotels. Is the POWB worth it for either of these hotels? I have heard that at some of the hotels, it doesn't really make that much of a difference and it's not worth the cost. We are definitely looking to have a nice view...it doesn't need to be the best view but definitely not one of the beach or what not. Does it really beat out the regular OWB? Secondly, I have read that people wish they stayed in a beach or garden bungalow instead of a OWB for their entire length of the stay. Do you recommend that I maybe break up one hotel into a couple nights beach and a couple nights OWB?

Thanks in advance

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: overwater for 8 days?

to your question about breaking up the stay between room categories at the same resort, I wouldn't want to bother once I am settled. I would only do that if I was staying on 1 island for my whole trip and wanted both experiences. My suggestion would then be a Beach Bungalow at the Pearl in Moorea and OWB LeMeridien in BOB.

Just my personal opinion:)

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
99 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: overwater for 8 days?

YES!!! If you can swing it financially, DO IT! How often will you be in Tahiti? Hopefully you will only have one honeymoon, so splurge and be happy to hang in your beautiful OWB and rarely leave. It is so worth it, and there are not too many places in the world to experience over water. It is fun to watch Tahitian TV (fish under your glass table in the bungalow) at night. Best wishes!

Santa Barbara...
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: overwater for 8 days?

Hi moonchies!

So glad to hear you have decided on your hotels :)

The Premium catagory at the Pearl in Moorea face out into the lagoon. The regular OWB face the shoreline. So, yes it would be a big difference at this property OW. I would suggest to you that you may wish to consider doing a garden with pool here to save some $. They are lovely and the private plunge pools are wonderful! The Beach bungalows here have a fair amount of foot traffic in front of them on the beach. The Le Meridien, I would do your Premium catagory here for the best views of the island of Bora Bora. Just my thoughts on this...enjoy your honeymoon in paradise!

sunny regards,

shully

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: overwater for 8 days?

actually at the LeMeridien if you have not booked the premium overwater bungalows then the bungalows which i would consider on the inside of the "horseshoe" all have a good view.

if you need a map to see what I am talking about let me know.

Bo

Adelaide
2 posts
1 review
5. Re: overwater for 8 days?

We stayed in a POWB at the Le Meridien Bora Bora back in February 2005 for our honeymoon.

For the extra expense all you are getting is a bungalow further away from the main resort area. We had a real nice view of Mt Otemanu, but we also found that the water was WAAAY deep in this area and I found it quite scary to swim in.

We had a lot of rain and severe wind which used to scare the heck out of me.

Next time I go back I will definately be booking a normal overwater bungalow instead of a premium and also stay in a beach bungalow too to get the experience of being close to the resort.

I hope this helps.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: overwater for 8 days?

I agree with Anka

if you don't want to spend the extra money for the POWB the view from the regular OWB is just fine. You do get a better view of the mountain from the "inside of the horseshoe" as I mentioned before.

Request it at checkin remembering it's a request and not guaranteed. You will love the setting of that Resort no matter what.

7. Re: overwater for 8 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 11:50