We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book stores?

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
Book stores?

I will be in Guayaquil in late January and am looking for a SPANISH version of Robert Ridgely's "Birds of Ecuador". Does anyone have a bookstore to recommend? How about "Libreria Cientifica"?

Thank you.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,277 posts
101 reviews
1. Re: Book stores?

I'm sure Guayaquil would have a branch of Libri Mundi; I bought my copy at the Quito store. The Spanish version has a more field-friendly volume of the color plates with basic descriptions, boxed with the brick-like volume of complete descriptions, habitats, and maps. See if they'll let you examine the plates volume before paying; mine was complete, but there was a section of about eight of the plates repeated.

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Book stores?

Thank you. That is exactly the one I'm looking for. I get tired of lugging my huge English version around. I will look for a Libri Mundi when I get there.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,277 posts
101 reviews
3. Re: Book stores?

Have you looked into ordering from Amazon? It would probably be much cheaper; books are very expensive in Ecuador.

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Book stores?

Guayaquil does have a Libri Mundi, but is this the one you are referring to? It looks right but I can't tell just by looking at the cover.

http://www.amazon.com/anotada-Ecuador-Continental-annotated-Mainland/dp/9978404872/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1356141982&sr=8-6&keywords=aves+ecuador

If so, I'll definitely get it from Amazon. I can't tell from the description if it is the one I'm looking for. Thank you for your help!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,277 posts
101 reviews
5. Re: Book stores?

No that's not the one I bought I can't remember what I paid in Quito for the 2 volume set I mentioned but holy smokes, it certainly wasn't the $200+ I just saw! I think it was around $80. If you have time, I'd order the one you're looking at and take a look to see if it's the color plates; I guess you can send it back if it doesn't suit.

6. Re: Book stores?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 10:46