We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth a day in Guayaquil?

Irvine, California...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
worth a day in Guayaquil?

Should I arrive a day early to have a day in Guayaquil before my Galapagos voyage or just arrive the night before I fly out there?

Mentioned in this post
Guayaquil
Guayaquil
Guayas Province, Ecuador
11. Re: worth a day in Guayaquil?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2012, 20:50
12. Re: worth a day in Guayaquil?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2012, 20:50
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: worth a day in Guayaquil?

A nice thing about Guayaquil is its location near the coast. Guayaquil has enough attractions to entertain for a day or two, but if you are looking for something different, there are many attractions that are just a short trip away from the city that you can easily do in a day. You may have to coordinate your trip with a tour operator, but it's easy and opens up lots more possibilities to you than just walking on the boardwalk, for example (even though the boardwalk is nice!)

If you are in Guayaquil between June and September, you are in Ecuador during the ideal humpback whale-watching season. You can take a day trip from Guayaquil to Puerto Lopez (3-4 hrs) or Salinas (2 hrs) and go on a whale watching boat a trip. Most whale watching trips last 2-3 hours, which will leave you with some extra time on the beach too before you need to head back to Guayaquil. As long as you leave by 4 pm (Puerto Lopez) or 6 pm (Salinas), you should be back in Guayaquil by early evening.

Another idea is to visit the Churute Mangroves Ecological Reserve. This is just 2 hours outside of Guayaquil and is a really cool place for nature-lovers. It might be possible as well to go on a short canoe trips or visit a cocoa farm while at the reserve. Plus they have good food!

I could probably think of more ideas of things you could do if you'd like.

Mentioned in this post
Guayaquil
Guayaquil
Guayas Province, Ecuador
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Salinas
Salinas
Santa Elena Province, Ecuador
UK
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: worth a day in Guayaquil?

Michael our flight out 5th May 13 leaves at 20.05 back to Madrid. I think to be stress free we will look to be at the airport at 5pm.

It is a Sunday. The day before we arrive mid afernoon from the Islands so will have a look around a safe bit of Guayaquil before a celebration dinner in a nice restaurant. Any ideas what we could do outside town (we like nature, relaxing, meeting locals, villages, country life [we speak spanish])?

I guess we will have 7 hours if we get going at 10 and if we hire a driver for the day that takes care of the luggage so we can return straight to the airport.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Guayaquil
Guayaquil
Guayas Province, Ecuador
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
807 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: worth a day in Guayaquil?

Hello,

The day that you arrive from the Islands you can go to visit Malecon 2000, Plaza Seminario and La catedral, San Francisco church and La Merced. Also, you can walk around Las Penas, there you will have a wonderfull view of the city.

The next day, a perfect day would be to visit Churute Mangroves Ecological Reserve, It is located 2 hours from Guayaquil, the entrance is free but if you want to do activities like to canoa trips or visit to a cocoa farm you should pay.

Another activity that you can do is to visit in the morning El parque Historico, in this place you can see the wildlife, urban architectural and tradition zone where you can learn more about the culture and traditions and in the afternoon you can take the train in Duran to Yaguachi, where you can do activities like Apitherapy, visit haciendas and the town. The only problem is that you will be back at Durán at 5 and takes around 20 minutes to be at the airport.

The other option is that you go to the train station in the morning and during the afternoon to Parque Historico.

If you have more questions, It would be a pleasure to help you.

Mariuxi López

Mentioned in this post
Las Penas
Las Penas
1,756 Reviews
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Guayaquil
Guayaquil
Guayas Province, Ecuador
Parque Historico Guayaquil
Parque Historico...
1,516 Reviews
Guayaquil, Ecuador
UK
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: worth a day in Guayaquil?

Muchas Gracias Mariuxi. Churute Mangroves Ecological Reserve I think would be perfect for our final day in Ecuador. A boat trip, a little walking, and a nice lunch.

I'm thinking it may be possible to leave our luggage in the airport when we return from the Islands taking only things for one night and Churute Mangroves; which would make life easier. Or if we have a hotel near the airport we could leave the luggage there and pick it up later.

The train looks a little unreliable so we'll have to leave that for another trip.

Edited: 17 November 2012, 16:25
Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
807 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: worth a day in Guayaquil?

Con mucho gusto,

Well, I think the idea to leave your luggage is a good one, to be free stress.

Near the airport you can find many hotel, from the airport to the dowtown It takes around 30 minutes by taxi and you can go to Malecon 2000 or some places nearby.

For you special dinner if you haven't decided a place yet, you can go to Urdesa, there you can find many restaurants,. Also you can go to Plaza Lagos at Puntilla. It is a beautiful place the only problem is that is a little far but you can find good restaurants.

If you like seafood I can recommend you El Caracol Azul, it is located near Malecon del Salado.

I think Manglares Churetes is a good choice if you like nature, boat trip and wildlife. In that place you can have the opportunity to go crab catching. I have done yet but I think it is very interesting and exciting you only will need to take witth you an extra clothes or you can rent some clothes, and please dont forget to take with you bug repellant, sunglasses, sun block, light clothes and to try the typical food made with red crab. It is very delicious. One of my best seafood.

Let me know if you need more information or if I can help you.

Mariuxi López

Mentioned in this post
Plaza Lagos
Plaza Lagos
188 Reviews
Guayaquil, Ecuador
18. Re: worth a day in Guayaquil?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 05:48