We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payment Methods

Cullercoats, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Payment Methods

Is it usual for villas or apartments in Croatia to request payment via bank transfer? We are being asked for 30% deposit now and the remainder 60 days before but credit cards are not accepted.

9 replies to this topic
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Payment Methods

It's not uncommon. I have deposited money into a Croatian bank account from Australia in order to reserve an apartment, had no problem. I paid the remainder of arrival. Did the same for an apartment this June.

Cullercoats, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Payment Methods

Thanks. We are just all a bit nervous about sending money direct to an individuals bank account.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Payment Methods

Dear Francis, I think that this is common. The owner of the apartment wants to make sure you're coming. They have probably closed off sales for this apartment in the period you requested. They are basically keeping it for you, and they do not want to experience last minute cancellations and surprises. I rent apartments myself through the booking.com, airbnb etc....one of my conditions is that the accommodation has to be paid in full before the arrival of the guest. Booking.com, airbnb and other channels are ensuring mutual trust between the renter and the guest. However, if you book privately and pay on your own to a renter on his checking account, I guess there might be certain risks (very low in Croatia, but still risks).

Edited: 16 February 2018, 14:24
Cullercoats, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Payment Methods

Thanks Filip

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
7,073 posts
77 reviews
5. Re: Payment Methods

If you don't like to do it then choose Booking.com etc. The cost of the bank transfer would be another issue to consider.

Cullercoats, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Payment Methods

It was through booking.com but they arent handling the payment.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
170 reviews
7. Re: Payment Methods

Booking.com doesn't handle payments. It just provides the platform. The rest is strictly between you and the accommodation provider. If you are not comfortable paying gin advance, I suggest you find another property where the payment is required on arrival and then cancel the current booking. Most of booking.com accommodation is payable on arrival and that is clearly stated when booking. Only once did I have to pay in advance, but again that was clearly stated when I booked it. I didn't have much choice as it was a small place where there was very little suitable accommodation available, but it worked out fine.

Edited: 16 February 2018, 17:08
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
63,909 posts
88 reviews
8. Re: Payment Methods

Agree that you should find another place if you are overly concerned but it is a common practice.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Payment Methods

As another commentator stated, there will be a fee for international bank transfers. I think mine was AUD35, about 4 or 5 years ago.

Reply to: Payment Methods
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Makarska
Recent Conversations