We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

Hi all,

As per usual I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself in regards to our annual holiday (we're heading to Croatia at the start of September for 16 days!).

The last 4 years we have visited the Greek islands (I almost feel like we are cheating on Greece, but we are looking forward to trying something new). We are going to rent a car for the duration and travel along the coast of Croatia, towards the end of our trip we plan to spend about 3 nights in the Makarska region.

I have done a little bit of research on the various towns and both Brela and the town of Makarska are jumping out at me. However I did read that Makarska can get a little over crowded. I am travelling with my boyfriend, we are both 30 and the most important aspects of a holiday for us are lovely beaches, great restaurants and some nice bars where we can have a quiet drink (or two!). We're not interested in the party scene as we like to get out and about during the day and explore the area but at the same time we like there to be a bit of hustle and bustle where we stay.

Our favourite town in Greece so far has been Kamares on the island of Sifnos, so would love something similar. If anyone is familiar with Kamares and also Makarska all suggestions are more than welcome!

11 replies to this topic
Durham
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

The beach at Brela is more attractive. I prefer to stay at Baska Voda and walk along the front to get there. Makarska is bigger and more lively. Early September is a good time to go.

Pasadena, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

My husband and I just booked this awesome AirBnB in Marušići. It’s a little further outside of Makarska, but it is a cliffside villa with a private beach. We plan to drive down to Makarska during our stay.

https://abnb.me/EVmg/U47HWLj9sJ

Edited: 06 January 2018, 03:20
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

Will you fly into Dubrovnik or Split airport? There are islands and other to visit before you get to Makarska. September is a good time to go because the weather is still great and it's a bit quieter because the school holidays are finished.

Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

Thanks everyone!

That Air BnB looks great, but think we'd like to say somewhere a bit more lively.

We take our holidays in September every year for that very fact - good weather and less people!

Our plan so far is to fly into Pula, spend 1 night there then 4 nights in Rovinj and visit surrounding areas, we were planning on spending 1 night in Plitvice but we might just visit the parks etc. and travel on that night to Zadar 2/3 nights there. Then we're going to divide our remaining time between Split, Makarska and Dubrovnik and fly home from Dubrovnik.

It's just a rough guide at the minute, so any other suggestions are of course always welcome! Plus we might try squeeze in a visit to one of the islands somewhere along the way!

We want to treat Makarska as our "beach/sun" holiday and just spend a few days relaxing so it's important foe us that we pick the right town or village to base ourselves from. Parking might also be a bit of an issue so we are probably going to have to come to terms with staying a little bit further away from the center of whatever town we end up in!

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
49 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

We stayed in Makarska two years ago and I absolutely love the place. I don´t think it´s too crowded or too small either. It has lovely beaches, good restaurants and very good possibilities to walk and enjoy the nature.

Our apartment was near Hotel Dalmacija and I found it to be a good place to stay.

I hope you will enjoy Makarska as much as we did.

That Airbnb apartment looks just lovely ;)

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

I think you should also check Tucepi and Podgora too:

http://www.tucepi.com/en/

http://tz-podgora.hr/en/homepage

Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful replies!

Our plans have changed somewhat - still finding it hard to get my head around the different areas in Croatia, everywhere is so much bigger than the little islands in Greece we usually visit!!!

We've decided not to visit Makarska and instead spend a couple of days on the island of Korcula. We've also dropped Split from the itinerary based on a few blogs and a friend's recommendation to go elsewhere. As a result we're now going to spend a few days in Trogir which seems much more up our street and still very close to Split so we can do a day trip if we feel like it.

Thanks again!

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

I would have always voted for Makarska over Korcula - probably since my parents started building a holiday home when I was still a baby and sold it when I was 36, so i was going there for holidays all of my life (continued after they sold the house too). A bit prejudiced, i supposed... But for me it remains the nicest piece of coast on the planet Earth!!!

Makarska, Croatia
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

im from makarska and u did good thing, Korcula is waay better then Makarska. Its history pearl - Marco Polo and old walls. For beach at Korcula is better to drive little bit with car because in centre of Korcula beach its not so good. Nice restaurants on Korcula too, and main thing - very very calm

Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska

Thanks Emil_vic :)

Always good to hear from a local in terms of where to go and what to do! Glad you think we're making a better choice! If you have any recommendations on places to visit or restaurants I'm all ears!

Reply to: First trip to Croatia - where to stay in Makarska
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Makarska
Recent Conversations