We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exploring the island

Cary NC
Level Contributor
143 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
exploring the island

We plan to rent a quad and spend a day exploring the island. One place I would like to visit is Sveta Ndelja – Zlaton Otok/Restaurant Bila Idro with underwater wine cellar. When I look at google maps, it appears there is a windy road that you turn right on from 116. 116 heads north and through the island and this little (no named) road continues along the south side of the island and can get you there in about 35 minutes. Maybe longer if traveling via quad rather than car.

However, everything I read on line says the ONLY way to get there is to stay on 116 and go inland toward the north side of the island and all the way around past Stari Grad, Jelsa, and through some crazy cave.

Can someone help me figure out which is correct?

4 replies to this topic
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exploring the island

Look at this online map - by Croatian National Automobile Club HAK, and zoom in close enough. After Jelsa the road does not go through a CAVE but a road TUNNEL called Pitve. After the tunnel you turn right, through ivan Dolac, Jagodna to Sveta Nedelja

https://map.hak.hr/?lang=en&s=bing;roadmap;mid;I;6;12;0;;1

Mentioned in this post
Sveta Nedelja
Sveta Nedelja
90 Reviews
Hvar Island, Croatia
Cary NC
Level Contributor
143 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exploring the island

But is it possible to get there using the road that shows up on google maps that runs on the south side of the island off 116? I DON'T WANT to go all the way around if possible..

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exploring the island

With a mountain bike, 4WD or cross motorbike - maybe.With a normal car I would not try it. See how it looks where it begins - Google Street View

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1516243,16.5411657,3a,60y,120.76h,91.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snI5jazsrRzAzb0b6m1C-1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

NJ
Level Contributor
87 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exploring the island

I was there today, went the longer way through the tunnel which was a cool experience in itself. Had lunch on the waterfront. Confirm in advance that the place you want to see is open. There was a place on the water that was closed and undergoing renovations. According to Google maps it was the place you refer to.

Reply to: exploring the island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hvar