We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks trip to Xian - Luoyang - Beijing - Shanghai

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks trip to Xian - Luoyang - Beijing - Shanghai

Hi Guys,

Im planning to visit XIan - Luoyang - Beijing - Shanghai with 2 kids, a wife and my 70 year old father.

Xian plan 3 days, Luo Yang 2 days , Beijing 4 days and Shanghai 4 days. is the bullet train connecting to all the cities ? is it convinient ? and which cities should i add up in my itinery ? Please give me some tips. By the way Im going in coming June. Thank you guys !

2 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12,002 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks trip to Xian - Luoyang - Beijing - Shanghai

I think the general plan is fine and all you can manage with this group in tow. If you are flying into China at Xi'an and exiting from Shanghai, this is the right order. I think the high speed train is the best way to travel between all of these places and you can save some cash by using second class seats which are perfectly OK. Your time allocations need to absorb the intercity travel, so I would generally do this by shaving Xi'an time to 2.5 days and putting the 2+ hour train trip to Luoyang within that 3rd day. Then shaving Luoyang time to 1.5+ days and incorporating the 4-hour train journey to Beijing to make up what would have been the full 2nd day. Beijing needs 4 full days. The final 5-hour train journey to Shanghai can come out of the Shanghai time. Shanghai city only needs a couple of days so you'll have some extra time there to daytrip to a nearby city like Suzhou, or a water town for a part day, etc.

If this is not how you are going to enter/exit China, please inform so the order can be reworked.

Edited: 21 February 2018, 20:46
Zhengzhou, China
Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks trip to Xian - Luoyang - Beijing - Shanghai

Yes, in your plan there are bullet connected with the cities. Please book the train ticket before, sometimes, it sell out. If you travel with kids and old, I suggest you to rent a car with driver and guide.

Reply to: 2 weeks trip to Xian - Luoyang - Beijing - Shanghai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted