We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huangshan trip planning - mid April for 4 days

L H
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Huangshan trip planning - mid April for 4 days

Hi, i am planning my trip to Huangshan in mid April and need some help with the itinerary.

I will arrive by air late at night so will stay in the city for the first night.

On the 2nd day, i will make my way to Huangshan Scenic Area in the morning and then hike to the top from probably Yungu Temple (i like hiking so no plan to take the cable car). By the time i get to Yungu Temple, it will probably be around 10am.

I will then stay in the mountain for the next 2 nights and come back down on the 4th day. need to catch high-speed train at 4pm at Huangshan North rail station.

Any route and hotel recommendations are much apprecaited!

Cheers,

Lil

Mentioned in this post
Yungu Temple
Yungu Temple
2 Reviews
Huangshan, China
Mt. Huangshan (Yellow Mountain)
Photography Tours, National Parks, Geologic Formations, Climbing Tours, Mountains
Huangshan
Level Contributor
314 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huangshan trip planning - mid April for 4 days

Beihai hotel first night and Jade Screen hotel for second night so as to cover all the scenes on the top

L H
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huangshan trip planning - mid April for 4 days

Cool cool. Thank you, John.

is it possible to stay in Xihai hotel or Paiyun Hotel? i heard some spot near Paiyun Hotel is th best for sunset and sunrise views. will i have enough time to hike to Paiyun hotel to watch the sunset? how long does it take to go from Beihai hotel to Xihai hotel and Paiyun hotel?

on the last day, how long does it take to walk back down from Jade Screen hotel via Tiandu Peak?

Huangshan
Level Contributor
314 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huangshan trip planning - mid April for 4 days

The best spot to watch sunset is at Bright Top, where Baiyun hotel is located, Paiyunlow hotel is located too low to watch the sunset.

L H
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huangshan trip planning - mid April for 4 days

Got it. Thanks

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Huangshan trip planning - mid April for 4 days

When are you planning to be there? I'm going to Shanghai on April 16th and will get to Huangshan on either the 16th or 17th. If your alone and the dates work, I wouldn't mind hiking with someone.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Huangshan trip planning - mid April for 4 days

My daughter and I just returned from 2-day hiking trip in Huangshan, so I might be able to add some colors from non-Mandarine speaking Westerner's perspective.

- First and most important tip: Choose weekdays to be on the mountains if at all can be helped. We were up on the mountains on Friday and Saturday in March, no special big holidays or anything, before some of the peaks and trails opened for the season, and trails were PACKED with tourists on Saturday. And when I say PACKED, I mean, you are in lines, elbow to elbow, on every step of the stairway, going up and down the steep paths. I don't think I have sworn and cussed so much in my adult life as I did that day. Friday was better than Saturday but it was also misty and bit rainy so that might also have had something to do with it.

- We also stayed one night in Tunxi after arriving by air from Shanghai. We stayed at Hui Style Boutique Hotel on Tunxi Old Street, which gave us time to wander around the Old Street on the first night. Hotel itself is a character, a modified old Hui style house if you are interested in history. Guy there arranged for us a ride from the hotel to the entrance of Huangshan Scenic Area and it was 200RMB. This worked for us because we had luggage with us and didn't want the hassle of taking the bus. The driver drove quite fast and we were at the gate in about 40 minutes!

- If you have luggage that you don't want to take on the hike, like we did, there is a convenience store on the left side (looking at the mountains with the ticket center on your right) of the parking area of the ticket center. Look for a sign "便利屋" and go into the back of the shop where a lady will take your luggage into the storage and give you a receipt. I thought it was 5RMB per bag per night but I may be off on that.

- Initially we were planning to do this route chinahighlights.com/image/…map-hs-7.jpg until we found out that West Sea Grand Canyon trails didn't open until April 1st. Total bummer. But we did hike both ends of the circuit until the closed gates and i can with ABSOLUTE certainty recommend doing west Sea Grand Canyon loop on your 2nd day in the mountains so that you can make the most of it without being rushed. Jaw dropping views, old, narrow natural cut stone pathways instead of concrete steps, and best of all NO GROUP TOURISTS!!!!! On our round trip to and from Fairy Walking Bridge, we crossed paths with all of 7 twosies and small groups. What a relief.

- We went up from Mercy Light Pavilion side and not Yungu Temple as you are planning, so I can't speak for that side, but I'll note it anyway for anyone who may search information on this forum like I did. Entrance to the hiking trail is NOT at the cable car station even though most maps show the trail and cable car starting at the same spot, and it is not marked anywhere if you get off the bus at the cable car station!!!!! We tried to ask one of the ladies at the cable car ticket window who spoke a little bit of English the direction to the hiking trail and was told "up and around" but there was no signs anywhere, except for hiking trail sign DOWN to the hot springs. We tried asking several people but none spoke English, until one lady told us to get on another bus, gesturing as if "hiking". Turned out that we had to change the bus at the cable car station and keep going up on the road on the second bus to get to Mercy Light Pavilion. Or, it may have been more like we weren't supposed to get off the bus at the cable car station and we didn't know. Either way, we probably wasted good 30 minutes around the cable car station trying to figure out where to go. An English sign would have been helpful...

- For your second night stay, I'd think Baiyun Hotel will be the perfect spot. It is literary at the end of West Sea Grand Canyon circuit as you come back up from the canyon floor. If the weather cooperates, you could hike up early in the morning from Baiyun Hotel to Bright Top (Guang Ming Ding - 光明顶), which is about 20 min hike from Baiyun Hotel, then come back down for breakfast that opens at 7 am before heading down toward Mercy Light Pavilion. Don't count on great food at the hotel though.

- Lastly, I contacted John Tunxi who had responded to your post earlier to arrange a tour of Huangshan after we were done with hiking, and was met by a guide and driver at the park entrance gate, so I can't comment on your transportation arrangement back to the high speed rail station. However, if you need English speaking service in Huangshan at any point, I'd highly recommend contacting John. He is very efficient, timely in response and gave us very good insights on a number of things.

Have a great trip!!!

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Yungu Temple
Yungu Temple
2 Reviews
Huangshan, China
Huangshan Baiyun Hotel
Huangshan Baiyun Hotel
262 Reviews
Huangshan, China
7. Re: Huangshan trip planning - mid April for 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2017, 09:47