We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easy hikes?

NM
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
easy hikes?

My husband has trouble walking but we want to see the Huangshan mountains. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Huangshan
Huangshan
Anhui, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,468 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: easy hikes?

Once you get off at the top, you are facing nothing but stairs. You can always stay close and not stay too long.

You can always hire a sedan chair: …flickr.com/3047/2543797583_b51d624868.jpg…

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: easy hikes?

My suggestion is not to go up the mountain. There is no way to avoid step climbing, sometimes steep. If he has trouble walking, he isn't going to be able to handle the stairs. I certainly wouldn't do the sedan chair thing. Some things in life are not meant to be.

NM
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: easy hikes?

My husband can do stairs-he just can't do a lot of hiking. We still dance a lot and pretty much do everything. I just don't want us to have to hike a long way to get to hotel or views. Any recommendation on which cable car to go on and which area, which hotel? We definitely will not be trekking around the mountain. We can do hour long hikes things like that.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: easy hikes?

Hmm, you say he can't walk but he can climb stairs? You seem to be making a distinction between "hiking" and step climbing. We are trying to tell you that most of getting around Huangshan involves vertical hiking by means of steps, with no way to avoid this--it's simply the terrain. It's hard on the legs and if one has lung/heart issues, it does mean a fairly large amount of exertion. For sure it can be done slowly, but that doesn't change the realities of the terrain there. So, I hope you are right when you see the setup at Huangshan. There are some cable cars that come up fairly close to some hotels, but if you are going to be limited to a small little area up there due to lack of mobility, you might come away disappointed for the money you are going to be spending. Maybe before you commit, you should internet research various photos of Huangshan, and some schematic maps showing the walks/hikes/stairs or however you want to classify them. At least if you go forward with the plans, you can select your summit hotel with your limitations in mind, relative to the particular viewpoints most easily accessed from that hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Huangshan
Huangshan
Anhui, China
NM
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: easy hikes?

Thank you for your help. I have been to Greece Acropolis where there is lot of stair climbing and hills also and did that just fine. Huangshan seems like it is bit more difficult getting from Cable car station to hotel but perhaps doable. If we skip Huangshan, any suggestions for a 2-3 day trip out of Shanghai. We like culture, food, nature.

Mentioned in this post
Huangshan
Huangshan
Anhui, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
6. Re: easy hikes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2017, 11:47