We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bamboo train??? Other options?

Level Contributor
152 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Bamboo train??? Other options?

Hi does anyone know if the bamboo train is still running? If not, is BB still worth a visit before SP? I'm travelling North from Sihanoukville. If anyone knows any other places in between that are worth a visit please let me know. I really don't want to fly or get the bus back to PP first. Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bamboo train??? Other options?

“I really don't want to fly or get the bus back to PP first”

Short of traveling through the Cardamoms, traveling back to Phnom Penh is what you’ll have to do.

movetocambodia.com/transportation/…

As for the Bamboo Train, their intention is to tear up the existing track and then replace it with a new track in a different location.

I don’t mind this idea, as exhilarating as the current line is, to forgo the risk of imminent derailment for a flat bed with a view sounds like a fair trade off to me. But from latest reports it’s still in operation, perhaps you could update this when you’re there Louise.

There are so many things to do in Battambang I doubt you’ll have enough time to cover them all.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g…

https://tinyurl.com/y97bst6l

Have fun

Edited: 17 October 2017, 01:56
Greater London...
Level Contributor
972 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bamboo train??? Other options?

I first went to Cambodia in 2007, they were telling us back then that the bamboo train wouldn't be running for much longer, but I have been back half a dozen times since then and as far as I know it is still running.

If travelling from Sihanoukville towards SR then your only options are to fly or travel back overland via Phnom Penh.

Level Contributor
152 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bamboo train??? Other options?

Would I not be able to travel to SO via the following route by bus?:

SV>KK>Pailin>BB>SO

If not I'll have to fly. Thanks

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bamboo train??? Other options?

I was in Battambang earlier this year and i believe it will be a long time before they tear up the old Bamboo train track---a bit of a tourist trap but at least i have done it. Battambang is a lovely town with art gallerias and very good restaurants,While you are there you can visit the Ancient House and the Killing caves

Level Contributor
152 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bamboo train??? Other options?

Ah great thank you. The Ancient House and Killing Caves sound interesting.

Reply to: Bamboo train??? Other options?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Battambang