We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Battambang seems to have a lot of great restaurants!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Battambang seems to have a lot of great restaurants!

Since I will be going to Battambang for a couple of days in November, I decided to find out what kind of restaurants are available, and where they are... I have heard from various people that the White Rose Restaurant has been there for a long time, but not too many other good places to eat in the past...

But now, there seem to be many good restaurants which is good for Battambang, and good for our tummies. I mostly looked at Travelfish and found a cornacopia of great little places to enjoy good food.

The following are places I've found through Travelfish: (I'm looking forward to definitely trying lots of them!)

- NARY KITCHEN - #650 ST.111 - best fish Amok in town; Must wait about 40 minutes for food (bring a book!), all fresh ingredients; only 4 tables; Highly Recommended apparently.

- WHITE ROSE RESTAURANT - St. 2 -- good Khmer food; cheap; will need to wait awhile...

- JAEN BAI RESTAURANT - St. 2 - good Thai and Khmer food

- KHMER DELIGHT - ST.119 -- Khmer Food (obviously!)

- NIGHT MKT - beer and snacks

- GREEN MANGO CAFE & BAKERY - on the East Riverside by "There Be Dragons" G.H. - decadent deserts and great coffee!

- RIVERSIDE BALCONY BAR - St. 1 -- great music, longest running expat bar in Battambang. It's an old Cambodia bar in a beautiful old wooden house. It is super relaxed and lots of fun!

So to my surprise, there are some great places to relax and enjoy the vibe of Battambang... Hopefully, you too will enjoy yourselves in this town. I haven't got to Battambang yet, but I'm salivating a bit at what is there waiting for me to taste! :)

6 replies to this topic
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,800 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Battambang seems to have a lot of great restaurants!

Hi Skeezix

we had a fantastic meal at Nary Kitchen - that goes right at the top of the list

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,624 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Battambang seems to have a lot of great restaurants!

Hello Skeezix333

As a regular in BTB because of my association with a Cambodian NGO there, I can assure you that the Riverside Bar has changed hands a number of times and has passed it's use by date. Service and attitudes were dreadful the last time I and a Battambang Khmer resident went there. So bad in fact that we paid for our first drinks and left.

My best and cheapest meals in BTB have all been in the riverside Night Market at the triple-fronted stall nearest to the main bridge in to town and next to the ice cream vendor. All dishes are virtually cooked in front or to one side of you. The Khmer lady owner used to be a professional cook in Thailand before returning to start her own small night market eatery. I also like to listen to and make a donation to the multiple limbless music players at the Night market.

The so-called Pub Street in BTM is yet to properly evolve and has very little indeed to offer.

Other good food in BTB is to be found under the large tent-like covering further up stream.

Personally, I think the White Rose is over rated and trading on its past reputation.

If you don't mind paying a bit more then go to the French managed Au Cabaret Verte (I hope I got this right from memory). It's a nice old villa and garden setting.

I've had some good meals with the deputy governor of BTB Province and with Khmer friends at the riverside Asia Restaurant - conversely, I've also had some fairly mediocre ones there too. The place can be dead until about 9 pm. by which time the music is starting to get louder.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Battambang seems to have a lot of great restaurants!

ibr04694... Wow! Too bad about the Riverside Bar; I only read about it from TravelFish. But I did pay attention to

Nary - it looks good, and also glad to know there is good food in the riverside Night Market;

Limbless music players; amazing... If I see them, I will definitely listen to them, and make a donation. It boggles the mind...

The Au Cabaret Verte - I did have a look at that and from what I read, it seems to be a very good place to eat in a villa with a nice garden, ...

Thanks for setting me straight on the various places - just reading from TravelFish, I have no way of knowing how old the information is! I do love Khmer food, and also French and Thai, and many others! It's a voyage of discovery...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,624 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Battambang seems to have a lot of great restaurants!

Hello again Skeezix333

Look, the Riverside Bar may be right up your street and a novelty as a first time visitor to BTB and, to be honest, I used to like going there for a few beers and a feed in the evening. But as posted, it's gone off, unless it has changed hands again and improved. There is only one way to find out for yourself and that is to go there.

But BTB is changing fast and there are now quite a few good places to eat and drink at that just don't seem to get mentioned in guide books or the "Free" tourist information give-aways for the simple reason they do not pay for advertising space in such materials.

BTB is the antithesis of Siem Reap and still very much a large, quiet. country provincial Cambodian capital city. With the exception of tourist places, much of the town shuts up at about 5 - 5:30 PM.

And the BTB Night Market is tiny but a very popular place for the local lads and lassies to meet each other.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Edited: 11 June 2017, 05:08
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Battambang seems to have a lot of great restaurants!

Thanks again, Ian. I'll definitely go to Nary for a meal; for the rest, I'll just see how things go.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Battambang seems to have a lot of great restaurants!

To put my oar in... I'd agree with Ian - Battambang is a sleepy town, we had a real struggle finding anything open when we were there (I think partly because we arrived on a holiday when Cambodians were visiting family). The White Rose was open, but terrible service and grotty - would never recommend it. One place to try - Bric-a-Brac. It's a restored lovely blue house, converted to a shop, cafe/bar and small accommodation (just a few high-end rooms). It's pleasant to sit and chat to the guys - I think from memory one is an Aussie expat.

For us, the beauty of Battambang was in the countryside outside the town - some lovely sightseeing to do, and we found a wonderful and kind tuk-tuk driver to take us around. The town itself - see what you think, many people love it, but it wasn't our favourite. Some of the colonial buildings are beautiful, and make lovely photos, but we had the feeling that the town is a bit in need of some loving care to restore some of them. There's just not enough money around to do this though, so some dear old buildings sit in partial decay.

Reply to: Battambang seems to have a lot of great restaurants!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Battambang