We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel over land from Kawthoung to Yangoon

Härnösand
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel over land from Kawthoung to Yangoon

Hello! Me and my wife have traveld around in Myanmar for several year, but we have not beeing

in the most southern part. Is it possible to have visa in Kawthoung and travel over land to Yangoon

How many days does it take? are there good acomondations on the way?

Regards

Anders

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,521 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel over land from Kawthoung to Yangoon

Yes you can cross from Thailand to Kawthaung. You will need a visa before going to the border. It will take 2+ days, best to stop along the way, several places Dawei, Ye, Mawlamyine, Hpa-An. You can take a boat between Mawlamyine to Hpa-An for about 8,000 kyat. Also some good beaches in the south. Rooms are ok, a bit more expensive than Mandalay area I found, cheap ones were really basic, around $20-$30 should get you something reasonable.

Have a look: https:/…kawthaung

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Prague, Hlavni...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel over land from Kawthoung to Yangoon

Hey, me and my wife have done bus travel from Kawthoung just about one week ago and we are very happy to hear that someone else is thinking the same. The region opened up just recently and you can see the signs of that. Also it is quickly changing which I am not saying as hurry up to visit before it develops but more as comment that it is exciting to witness such dynamism. I will share what we have done and I hope that it will help.

From Ranong in Thailand you can easily cross by boat and you apply your Evisa which costs 50 dollars. Since visa at embassy recently changed to about 46 dollars, it is easier to apply online. We got ours within 48 hours.

From Kawthoung we took a night minibus to Myeik. We tried hard to find a big bus which could be potentially cheaper but no success. Later we saw one on the road during midnight snack stop but oh well. The cheapest price is 25 000 kyat per person as minibus companies have somehow monopoly. We talked to other travelers and they ended up the same. The advantage is you get picked up in your hostel. You could also just go to place called Bokpyin where the bus ride is 15 000 kyat. We haven't done that and I am not sure what is there - saw big reclining Buddha from road - but I imagine there are virtually no tourists.

From Myeik the minibus to Dawei was 12 000 kyat. per person. We took big bus which is 8 000 per person and since I asked them for "promotion"price we actually paid 7 000 only. The big bus is much more comfortable and I strongly recommend it. We arrived to Dawei at 2 o'clock in the morning and the bus company staff let us sleep in their little office.

Next bus was from Dawei to Mawlamyine and it was 12 000 for big bus. We left at 1 AM, was supposed to be midnight, and there should be also one leaving at 11 PM. Smooth ride, received water , toothbrush, pillow and of course blanket as AC is blasting. Then up to you what next, the options exponentially multiply closer you get to Rangon.

Overall I really recommend to do this. It is easy enough to do for travelers if they have enough time in country and the only drawback is lack of information since things are fresh. Hence also my long reply. Normally I never post things like this. :-)

Enjoy and feel free to ask for more questions. I hope it helps also other travelers. South of Myanmar is good thing to do also for travelers from Thailand, eVisa can be applied too on Mae Sot border crossing.

Mentioned in this post
Ranong
Ranong
Ranong Province, Thailand
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel over land from Kawthoung to Yangoon

as above;

cross over, bus from Kwathoung to Myeik to Dawei, rent a bike and head out to Muang Mang beach (12 kms) and ride all the way up to Nabule beach , Fantastic white sand,crystal clear waters,

there are a few places to stay right on the beach ( one really nice resort and a few other fan cooled bungalows) and plenty of restaurants at night,

From there hop on the bus to Ye ,train to Mawlamyine , short boat ride to Hpa-an and on to Golden rock before arriving in Yangon. I did it in reverse in dec 2015 and was lucky as took the boat from Dawei all the way south.... http://phuket.zenfolio.com/p592181362

Myeik has a great hotel (hotel grand Jade) $50 but well worth it., rent a boat for the day and head out.

outside there never paid more thna $25 for a room

In Hpa-an stay at the Galaxy Motel and rent a motorcycle an visit the caves and countryside.

Great part of Burma

Apply for ur online visa BEFORE you leave thailand ( it is NOT available on arrival) takes 1-2 days https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

Edited: 13 January 2017, 17:32
Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,521 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel over land from Kawthoung to Yangoon

If you want to stay at the Galaxy best to book ahead, I tried to book 2 weeks before I went and it was full. Cinderella in Mawlamyine was also the same apart from dorm beds.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel over land from Kawthoung to Yangoon

i thought the sandalwood was nicer

mawlamyine.com/hotels-in-mawlamyine/sandalwo…

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,521 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel over land from Kawthoung to Yangoon

I don't know I did not stay at either. Travelfish reckons the Cinderella is somewhat better but it is more money now.

Prague, Hlavni...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel over land from Kawthoung to Yangoon

Just to add on accommodation... Not sure if situation has changed now, but we had no problem to find a room without previous booking and never paid more than 25 dollars for it (being budget travelers though but still hotels were clean and had breakfast). My experience is that for online booking hotels only put highest quality rooms and they actually have cheaper rooms available on spot. Worked at 4 different places so far so hopefully our luck will remain. :-)

Reply to: Travel over land from Kawthoung to Yangoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kawthoung