We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
129 posts
87 reviews
Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

Hello,

Are the dates for this year's balloon festival on 17 – 22th November 2018?

Also, I am a solo female traveler and I don't typically go out at night. Will it be safe if I go to the evening balloon festivities on my own?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Victoria

16 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
1. Re: Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

The festival runs from 16th - 22nd November this year.

Myanmar is by far the safest country I have ever been to and even as a solo female you will have nothing to worry about.

I can reccomend the Golden Win hotel in Taunggyi. It is just of the main street thou it is more mid-range price wise than budget.

Take note that it can be quite cold in the evenings and overnight in that part of the country. Even in March (which is hot season) it was chilly after the sun had set.

Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
129 posts
87 reviews
2. Re: Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

Mingalabarchris, thank you SO MUCH!! I appreciate your reply! Very helpful :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
235 reviews
3. Re: Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

There will be two times for the Balloon Festival, 16-18 have day time while 16-22 have night time. Day time is mostly like the cartoon, animal shape Balloon competition and Night time will be with exciting competition. The local prepare the balloons about a year/many months for this competition. Mostly travelling there is safe but precaution is needed as usual. The hotel are fully booked for the festival date, you need to advance booking for the accommodation.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 08:28
Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
129 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

Good to know. Many thanks NicolasZaw!

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
667 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

It is not clear to me the programme. I read that on Nov.21 there will be the Kathine processione and the weaving competition. Is it correct ? The ceremony of the offer of the "winning robe" to Buddha at sunrise in which day will be done ? And where ? The light festival "9999 candle light" in which day will be held ? Many thanks to everybody

Mandalay, Myanmar
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

Lighting festival at Nov is celebrated at any famous temples & Pagodas in Myanmar. Mostly it's in the day before full moon day and full moon day. Please ask your hotel reception for it. Kathine Robe Waving process is usually at the the day before full moon day ( Nov 21 ).

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

Does anyone know which day will be the one where the fireworks display happens?

Anybody heading over this year?

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
667 posts
84 reviews
8. Re: Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

https://www.travel-myanmar.net/en/programme-…

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

hey! I saw that too thanks!

Somebody told me the fireworks was only on one night though. is this information accurate?

Cheers!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
10. Re: Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018

Hi Victoria! I'm planning to go to the same festival and I'm also a solo female traveler. We can go together.

Reply to: Taunggyi Balloon Festival for 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted