We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

brazilian passport

england
4 posts
Save Topic
brazilian passport

I am british and my fiance is brazilian, we are about to get married in brazil. After we marry we are going to return to england and i realise my new wife will need to apply for her visa in brazil but my question is, will she need to get a new passport with her new married name in it prior to applying for her visa or can she apply and travel in her maiden name? any help with this matter would be great....

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: brazilian passport

Either, but whatever her choice it is permanent, pretty much, in that it is very difficult to change after the fact.

For details on the process of getting married in Brazil and applying for residency in England, the forum on www.gringoes.com is a good resource.

Edited: 07 July 2010, 04:15
England
Level Contributor
563 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: brazilian passport

Ozzy, My wife is Brazillian, we have been married for fifteen years, she still has her Brazillian passport in her maiden name and her British passport is in her married name she travels on both with no problems. The only thing I would suggest is when traveling for her to keep the marriage certificate with her passport until she qualifys for a British passport. You will also need to register your marriage once back in the uk.Congratulations and good luck.

Richard

england
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: brazilian passport

Thanks for the replies. If this is the case she will probably apply for her visa in her maiden name to save the longwinded process of getting a new passport. I am only in Brazil for 2 weeks and this means hopefully after were married we can get her visa and travel back together. Now for the next bundle of forms, questionaires and paperwork for the visa application. Thanks again.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: brazilian passport

Please check the info available on the forum of www.gringoes.com before you assume you can leave for the UK with a settlement visa for your new bride within 2 weeks. This thread may help;

www.gringoes.com/forum/forum_posts.asp…

England
Level Contributor
563 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: brazilian passport

Ozzy , Further to Tcants good advice and follow it! I would also suggest you speak to the British consulate to answer all of these questions, the last thing you want is for your bride to be turned back by UK imigration as you know a hot potato at this time in the UK, I don't know your circumstances but try and get as much eveidence to prove your marriage is legitimate , photos etc ,time you have been together to get the process moving. Dot all the I's and cross t's and then enjoy your wedding day and your time in Brasil. Personnaly speaking I think its an idividuals right to marry anyone from any where they want. I do suspect you are gonna have to spend some time dealing with both British and Brazillian bueracracy. But get it right !

Good luck !

Richard

england
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: brazilian passport

thanks for link to grigoes site, was helpfull to see people asking same quetstions as me. i have been on uk border agency site and from what i can make out i think my new wife will need to fill in application VAF4A - settlement, can anyone confirm this is correct.

Also i see Q1.5 in part 1 asks; Marital status? I assume she cant apply untill we are actually married, i was hoping for her to apply a week or so before we marry just to get the ball rolling, but this would mean answering the question as single and probably confusing the issue.

Cheers for the help peoples.

7. Re: brazilian passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 10:47