We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

Texas
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Topic
thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

hello 3 or 4 of us staying for 4 nights and are looking at below apt. for early july. just checking on location and price point etc to see if good choice.

anybody have thoughts, comments to see if good or better choices?

http://www.vrbo.com/149448

thanks in advance

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

They don't say where exactly the apartment is located. If you find the number of the building, I can give a better response to your question. Rua Nascimento Silva is usually a good street, but the area gets a little bit dodgy (I have foreign friends that stayed there and didn't have any complaints...but it's good to search and find the best option) at the end of the street, so by checking the exact location, I can give you a better feedback on this place.

Edited: 26 April 2012, 05:16
Texas
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

Cross street is Rua Farme de Amoedo. All of us late twenties early 30s. $165 a night seems very cheap

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

Well, as I said, I have friends who stayed in that section of Ipanema in the past, including an American friend. They didn't report anything bad and were fine with the region. However, I will try to give you a panorama of this specific section:

1) The other cross street, called Alberto de Campos, has an access to a community center (it's an elevator) which is attached to a favela. I wouldn't have a major concern on that, as the people that pass there, generally speaking, are those who are going to the community center (where they have basically educational stuff, sports, etc). I don't think you'll be threatened there, but it's worth mentioning (so that you won't get mad at me for not mentioning it and also because other TA users could mention it!);

2) from Vinicius de Morais on, Ipanema is nicer (better shops, better restaurants), but it doesn't mean that between Vinicius de Morais and Farme de Amoedo it is bad. It's just less attractive overall and the prices tend to be lower due to the proximity of such community center. Anyway, you'll be in Ipanema, so other streets are pretty close;

3) Many will say that Farme Amoedo is a gay street of Rio, but actually it's a section of it, between Rua Visconde de Pirajá and Rua Prudente de Morais. The beach section in front of Farme de Amoedo (it's a small section) is also known for attracting LGBT people. Just saying for you to be aware of it - not a prejudicious comment, but as I am giving a panorama, it's worth mentioning;

4) The pros of the area are the proximity of the metro station/a square where there are some restaurants and where the hippie fair takes place; and the proximity to the Lagoon, which is a cool park.

I'll be glad to give you further tips and feedbacks. Feel free to ask.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

Just adding something to my post above: http://g.co/maps/twudu that's the entrance to the community center I mentioned. If you check the map, you'll see that it is not that close to where you're staying. Close, but not next to the apartment.

Texas
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

thank you for all the feedback. doesnt seem bad at all, as long as apt is in good shape on the inside then.

Thanks,

Ray

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

I agree with jgsodre, we're not comfortable walking in that area later at night. It's just a few blocks back from the main restaurant/bar/hotel part of Rua Farme de Amoeda, but there's not enough lighting on the street, and the vibe changes. It's close to the favela.

Texas
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

the apt is actually at cross street of Rua Farme de Amoeda and Rua Nascimento Silva. not enough light on street and bad vibe? apt has 24 hr security from apt brochure.

Texas
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

Rua Nascimento Silva 7, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, RJ Brasil 22421 is the address

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

paste that address into Google Maps and you will see it is located next to and at the bottom of the Cantagalo favela. Personally, I would not walk around there after 11pm.

http://bit.ly/IeCtWg

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: thoughts on apt for 3 or 4 from vrbo in july?

In that part of Ipanema , it's better advised to rent closer to the busy cross street of Rua Visconde de Piraja, and not past Rua Barao da Torre. There are also many many rental apartments on Rua Visconde de Piraja.

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro