We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Best way to get to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

Hello, I'm an American citizen. I'm trying to figure out which is the best way to get there. Initially I was thinking of flying from Buenos Aires to Iguazu, but I found out I need a Visa to go the Brazilian side of the falls. I'm wondering whether I should see a city or two in Brazil and fly from there. I'd hate to have to pay all that money and go through all the work of getting a Brazilian visa for just a few hours at the Falls. It may make more sense to see more of Brazil as long as I have to get a visa.

So would Rio or Sao Paolo be better to fly from to Iguazu Falls? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Kat

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,617 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Best way to get to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

Get a visa for Brazil and plan to spend around four or five days in Rio before going to the falls.

Insider Guide to Rio:

http://cnn.it/1XF611S

Top Places in Rio de Janeiro:

http://bit.ly/YPZZNZ

Top 10 views in Rio de Janeiro:

http://bit.ly/1s9urDy

10 things to do in Rio de Janeiro:

http://bit.ly/1Waz9gM

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,340 posts
1 review
2. Re: Best way to get to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

if youre going to travel you should check on VISAs and vaccinations on where you want to go.

if youre traveling by the seat of your pants and just going on a whim, not planning or knowing can cause you problems as yo have found out.

If you want to go to the Brazil side of the falls, then get the VISA process going. If you decide to do the falls, then there are many places in Brazil you can travel and enjoy too. It all depends on when and what floats your boat.

in my opinion, backing tracking is a waste of time & $$$.

but depending on where you will be leaving from Brazil, it maybe worth it to spend your time waiting for your VISA where you are instead of moving out and then having to come back for it.

but its your time & $$$.

Edited: 22 December 2016, 23:50
M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
86 reviews
3. Re: Best way to get to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

If just going to see the falls I would not pay the Visa for a day ( good for 10 years but will you return?)

You must have a BR visa to come. If you want nice beaches I would look at the NE Brazil. Natal and Florianopolis (SE) and many near Natal are beautiful in my opinion over Rio. Sao Paulo is just a big city and hard to get around.

Many all inclusive in NE.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
97 reviews
4. Re: Best way to get to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

Does anyone know if American citizens need a VISA to visit the Brazilian side of the falls?

What about just transiting through Brazil to Ciudad del Este?

I was thinking about taking a bus from Iguacu to San Pedro de Atacama via Paraguay, but the bus passes through a tiny piece of Brazil, but doesn't actually stop.

As for Iguacu, I heard you're "officially" supposed to have a VISA, but it's rarely enforced as they know a lot of people just visit the Brazilian side and don't stay for more than a few hours.

What if you take a boat tour?

Do you need a VISA to visit these places? I don't see the point of going through the hassle of getting Brazilian and Paraguayan VISAS if I'm only gonna pass through without stopping.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,617 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Best way to get to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

You definitely need a Brazilian visa if you want to visit Brazil, even for just a few hours.

Brazilian Consulates in the U. S.

…itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/brazilian_consulates…

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
6. Re: Best way to get to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

RealTravelMan, the US requires visas from Brazilians willing to enter its territory, even if just for a plane connection. Same goes for Brazil in return to such policy (European countries don't require tourist visas from Brazilians so tourists from Europe don't need a Brazilian visa). It may not be enforced, but you may be subject to deportation and a fine if you are caught, or you may not be admitted. Brazilian visas last for 10 years.

Edited: 02 January 2017, 07:01
Oroville, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
97 reviews
7. Re: Best way to get to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

I guess a few years ago they were more lenient, as I read an old post that said, they just let people through, but there is always that one jerk who will get you into trouble.

In my opinion, EU passports are much better as they can get you into places that American passports can't.

I am aware of Brazilians requiring VISAS from countries who require it from them.

I decided it's not worth going through the hassle. If a Brazilian visa is good for 10 years, I'd rather just wait to get one when I actually visit Brazil properly.

I decided this trip will be too complicated to plan and there will be more bus travel than site seeing.

I decided to opt out of South America for the time being and visit another destination that's easier to get around.

4 posts
8. Re: Best way to get to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

I don't know anything about the buses but crossing the boarder between Foz do Iguaçu and Cuidad del Este is extremely easy.

I'm Australian and visited Iguaçu at the beginning over December with my Brazilian girlfriend.

We literally just walked passed the boarder check points as it we were walking down any other regular street.

No stops or checks or anything like that. Just walked across from the Brazilian side to the Paraguay side.

On the way back it was just as simple. I was even had a few cans of beer that I was drinking as I walked over.

On the Brazilian side I believe they will be more likely to stop you if you are carrying a bag as they tax you if you spend over X amount shopping (sorry I don't how much) in Paraguay.

I'd imagine it's just as easy for an American and you'd be able to walk pretty easily back and fourth without a visa

9. Re: Best way to get to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2018, 10:46