We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belo Horizonte Transit Visa US Citizen.

Madison, Wisconsin
1 post
Save Topic
Belo Horizonte Transit Visa US Citizen.

Hello - I will post this question in another forum as well. I have a question. My family and I were traveling to Uruguay in Dec. 2011. We got stopped in the US by the airline telling us we needed visas to transit through Brazil. I have asked the Brazil Consulate here if this were true and I was told no. We did not need a visa as long as we were not getting out in Brazil, and we had airline tickets showing we were going to our final destination. This ended up costing my family and I more than 7,500.00 in extra airfare to fly with another airline. The new airline we ended up booking with last min. told us if you were flying with us this visa would have not been needed. Long story short I have hired an attorney to get my extra flight money returned. The airline is now telling me what I am saying is true, however there is a exemption in place for Belo Horizonte airport because they do not have a "transit area" for US Citzens. Can someone help me with this. I have to believe there is a way around this, as American Airlines would have let us fly. It was TAM Airlines that stopped the flight. The Brazil Federal Law states, A transit visa is not required for foreign citizens that are on a continuous voyage that is only interrupted by the obligatory stops of the used transportation mode. Can anyone help me with this, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

1. Re: Belo Horizonte Transit Visa US Citizen.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2013, 14:47
Get answers to your questions about Belo Horizonte