We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restuarant for Out-of-town guests -Fratellos or victorias?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Restuarant for Out-of-town guests -Fratellos or victorias?

Looking for a restaurant to treat out out-of-town guests. We have it narrowed down to Fratellos and Victorias. Any opinions? It's a special occasion, and we want a great restaurant.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
302 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restuarant for Out-of-town guests -Fratellos or victorias?

how fancy do you want? neither of those are gourmet, but fratellos is far superior in my opinion and has the view over the river. i think people like victorias because the portions are huge. but the food is not good.

for somewhat higher end restaurants: if your group is small enough, try flanagans. casa blanca is nice with pan-latin food. for a larger crowd, try seasons.

in the fox cities, no matter how fancy the restaurant, you dont need to dress up.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
615 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restuarant for Out-of-town guests -Fratellos or victorias?

For fancy I like Black and Tan on college ave or Seasons

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restuarant for Out-of-town guests -Fratellos or victorias?

i would never send someone to Victorias! Pullman's at Trolley Square is also on the water and a good, solid resturant. Nan Sorellos at the same place is also getting good reviews. Fratellos is excellent though and would be my recommendation - something for everyone, service is great and atmosphere is sophisticated. Another high end place is Lombardis steak house inside the radisson paper valley downtown. If it is a Thur. Fri. or Sat. night, check out the free downtown cool trolley service. Look for the trolley signs all over downtown and take a trip down by fratellos and pullmans. during the summer, lots of people park downtown and take the trolley to eat and back. A great to impress your guests too!

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restuarant for Out-of-town guests -Fratellos or victorias?

I would agree with those who said "no" to Victoria's. I like the restaurant, but the atmosphere is not very special and there are better choices for a special occasion. Fratello's is good--still casual but a far nicer restaurant and the location can't be beat as it is right on the river.

My votes for restaurants that are a little more upscale are: Seasons, Black and Tan, the Wine Review (Johnny Depp ate there when he was filiming locally recently!), Lemon Grass (Thai cusisine), or Lombardi's in the Radisson (which can admittedly be an uneven dining experience).

If you want to share any more details (size and ages of group, etc.) we could help you narrow these selections down.

Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restuarant for Out-of-town guests -Fratellos or victorias?

Avoid Lombardi's in the Radisson. Have only been there once and I wouldn't go back- poor service and everything was served cold except for the beer.

I agree with the recommendation of Fratellos over Victorias though.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restuarant for Out-of-town guests -Fratellos or victorias?

When did Alex's Crown go out of business? Decades ago or just a few years ago? i remember going there for great fancy meals many years ago. Pam

Pulaski, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restuarant for Out-of-town guests -Fratellos or victorias?

Pam,

The "original" Alex's Crown went out of business in the mid 80's I think. Something like 1984 or 85. Then someone else bought the building from the Arps family and reopened it again. I moved out of the area a while back and didn't know that it had closed again. I too have many childhood memories of eating there. My uncle was the manager there for many years and often took me on my birthday. Remember the jewelery they used to have there for sale? I have one of their old bar stools in my basement as a memento of my family dinners spent there.

The only caution I would have on Fratello's is don't eat outside. The only time we ate there we made that mistake and between the mosquitos and the goose that almost pooped on my husbands arm (it got the umbrella instead, thankfully) it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I would avoid the Fratello's at the mall. If you're up for a drive, Titletown Brewery in Green Bay has very good food.

8. Re: Restuarant for Out-of-town guests -Fratellos or victorias?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 23:50
Get answers to your questions about Appleton
Recent Conversations