We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM machines in Fortaleza Brazil

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
ATM machines in Fortaleza Brazil

Are there many ATM machines in the tourist areas?

Do they offer English?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM machines in Fortaleza Brazil

I'm in Fortaleza now. Lots of ATMs. Which tourist areas? You mean the hotels in Meireles? Not all ATMs will accept foreign cards, of course. I have a Citibank debit card from the U.S. and have used ATMs at Citibank (there's just one), Banco do Brasil and Banco 24 Horas machines (often found in supermarkets and malls). When you put your card you may well get an option to have your instructions in Portuguese or English. You should get a notice of charges before you say go ahead with your transaction. I have a Citbank Gold account so don't pay extra charges, but when I've used other cards I've seen charges ranging form 8-12 Reais ($4-$6).. I have used my card at ATMs at the airport but know people avoid airport ATMs in most cities due to the chances of fraud (the one time I had a problem was at an ATM in a Sao Luis supermarket, and Citibank reimbursed me). I'd probably avoid using the ATM at the Mercado Central, just because of so many people standing around. Always check your account soon after using your ATM to make sure there hasn't been fraud.

Edited: 19 June 2012, 23:52
Denver
Level Contributor
3 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM machines in Fortaleza Brazil

With a US ATM card, you need to use either HSBC or Banco 24 . There is only 1 Citibank in Fortaleza, in Aldeota. You can find Banco 24 in most big supermarkets and some pharmacies. Be sure to use a machine that has a guard nearby, as many ATMs that aren't guarded or in clear sight have scanners that can steal your info. That being said, I have used my Bank of the West ATM card for 3 years on and off in Fortaleza without any problems.

Unless something has just changed, you can't use a US card in Banco do Brasil, Santander, or Itau machines.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
190 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM machines in Fortaleza Brazil

I always use Banco do Brasil when in Brasil and it is great - no fees. There is a Banco do Brasil in the U.S. so of course it works fine! This is the biggest bank in Brasil I think , but my wife says Bradesco also is very easy to use.

4. Re: ATM machines in Fortaleza Brazil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 19:49