We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kusatsu onsen mid Jan- can I find the accommodation there?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Kusatsu onsen mid Jan- can I find the accommodation there?

Hi,

We are thinking of a side trip from Tokyo to Kusatsu onsen to have an overnight there.

Our whole Japan trip is not long, just about 11days. We've been to Japan multiple times and this time we are only doing Tokyo. But we love onsen and winter snow. We were looking for a small onsen town for a side trip and this seems what we are looking for.

We want to make the whole travel as relaxed as possible. We got Tokyo accommodation sorted and we don't want to fix the date for this side trip, if possible. Ideally we want to see how we go in Tokyo and take off when we feel like it.

Is it possible to find an overnight accommodation when we get there without prior reservation?

I'm talking about a trip in this month - soon. We will leave Australia this Sunday and the side trip will be probably next week, mid week.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kusatsu onsen mid Jan- can I find the accommodation there?

Try booking.com and enter "kusatsu onsen". Find a place that you can cancel the reservation after booking.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kusatsu onsen mid Jan- can I find the accommodation there?

Hmm so that means it's not a good idea to turn up without a booking, right? Free cancel bookings also have deadlines - like a day min. If it's a bad idea without a reservation, I will have to quickly have a look. Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kusatsu onsen mid Jan- can I find the accommodation there?

Kusatsu has lots of ryokans but then it's also one of the most popular onsen spots for Japanese people so it's better to book in advance especially if you're going on the weekend. Very atmospheric though! It was much better than I imagined.

You can also try Takaragawa Onsen, also in Gunma prefecture - really really beautiful ginormous mixed gender outdoor hot spring pools by the river... I was there in autumn but the pictures online of this place covered with snow look really amazing too! It's a bit expensive to stay there so you can also just do a day onsen there and can stay at Minakami which has quite a few hotels, 30 minutes away by bus.

…blogspot.jp/2016/11/takaragawa-onsen.html

Macau, China
Level Contributor
6,442 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kusatsu onsen mid Jan- can I find the accommodation there?

Don't forget Kusatsu is a famous Onsen area for both Japanese and foreigners, and it may be full for all ryokan in the day you travel there. It is strongly recommended to have your Ryokan booked just in case, and they can also prepare your set of Japanese set dinner as well, which is one of the unique experiences in Japanese Ryokan.

Otherwise, what should you do if you find all the hotels and ryokans are full? Taking another 3 hours back to Tokyo and wasting the whole day? :)

Reply to: Kusatsu onsen mid Jan- can I find the accommodation there?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kusatsu-machi