We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

Portland, Oregon
4 posts
Save Topic
Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

Hi All,

My friend and I are in Japan and are planning to summit Fuji either the 23rd or 24th depending on weather. Both of us are experienced climbers, and well prepared for a hike of this scale.

Understood that this is outside of the official window, and that it is a climb at your own risk. We are planning to sleep in a nearby hotel the evening before, and take transportation in early AM on the day of the climb to the north 5th station. Hiking plans are to climb up and down in one day, and return to Tokyo that evening.

Are there any sources of information in English with recent trip reports? I've been watching the mountain weather forecasts closely, but it's been impossible to find information on snow pack at the top, conditions etc. Any help is appreciated.

Also - anyone looking to climb during this timeframe is welcome to join us.

16 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

First bus arrival 9:45am/5th Station

Last bus departure 16:20/5th Station

+You'd be best to take a taxi up to 5th very early or you may run out of time on mountain.

+Submit a climbing plan as required to police.

(Form can be downloaded)

+Take a hiking toilet as no toilets open above the 5th. Don't sh1t on the sacred mountain.

+Be careful inviting strangers along - they could easily slow you both way down and/or become a liability. (You 2 are experienced and equipped but strangers may be completely unprepared, unfit or ill equip)

I once saw an American climber wearing a piglet onesie, slip on shoes and no backpack struggling up past 8th station during climbing season in average weather.

Portland, Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

Thanks Genki,

Good advice. Any idea on where to get information on current mountain conditions? I will be in Tokyo the week prior to the climb, so I assume there would be somewhere in Tokyo to get that sort of information.

All set on the hiking plan.

Taxi early AM on the morning of the climb, with a bus ride directly back to Tokyo afterwards seems ideal. Plan would be to start around 6am or earlier.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

Hey. I am interested in joining you guys. Will be there regardless and was planning on going solo. My plan was to arrive from Tokyo on Friday the 22nd below the mountain and stay in a nearby hotel. Then to go up on 23rd and do it up and down during the day. Similar to yours. From what I have read here: www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/season/index.html the Fujinomiya Trail says: "The trail between 5th Sta. to 6 Sta. is open from June 8." So thats a good sign. The close we are to July 1st the better. I was thinking however to go from the Subaru station. How about you guys? In terms of experience I am a guide myself here in the US and just got back from Pico De Orizaba (5600m) 2 weeks ago. Let me know what you end up figuring out.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

Taxi from Fujiyoshida (town at the base) to Fuji Subaru 5th station is about ¥12,000. Taxi from Fujinomiya town to Fujinomiya 5th station is about ¥13,000.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 04:26
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

That’s good info thanks for the heads up. Which side do you recommend? I’d say the Fujinomiya is the quickest and same way up same way down. Taxi can be split with the other guys or is the price per person?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

Route? Depends on the prevailing weather/wind on the day - bit far out to make that call. You don't want to be smashed by freezing 40kmh winds for 8hrs solid.

What about a small car rental for the day? (Pick up day before) More flexible for drive up/back. Cheaper than taxi and split between 3 :) Could pick up car at either Shin-Fuji station (for Fujinomiya route) or Kawaguchiko (if Subaru route).

There's a special box at the 5th stations to put your required climbing plans in before you start up.8

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

Genkisudo1 - that is good info. Yes of course its far out to make that call in regards to weather but in regards to distance and ease of access its all easily predictable. Still curious if there is any topo info out there in regards to snow conditions. If you would like you can come along.

Kirk - I will reach out to you via direct message. Btw open to going 23rd and / or 24th instead of going out there friday. I have that whole weekend available.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

Thanks but I'm doing the Fuji Sea2Summit in a few weeks ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

It's Tsuyu now (rainy season) so you'll probably want to consider some pretty solid rainwear.

Portland, Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th

Sounds like the rental car approach is the way to go. Thanks for all the good info. Still searching for some conditions/topo info and will share here if I find.

Reply to: Climbing Fuji 23rd / 24th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted