We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do/see/eat in Anacortes?

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Things to do/see/eat in Anacortes?

We will be traveling to Anacortes and staying there 4 days/3 nights, which seems like it might be TOO much time?

We plan to arrive Saturday afternoon and would like to spend the afternoon looking at a farm (I have a toddler who loves petting farm animals) or eating at a farm-to-table type place. Any recommendations?

We will spend a couple hours on Sunday at the art fair, and will also take in the view at Cap Sante, but then am not sure what to do the rest of the day.. we like mild hiking trails but have a toddler and grandparents in tow so cannot do anything strenuous.

We have whale watching planned for Monday so we don't particularly want to get on a boat the other days.

Would love a casual seafood restaurant recommendation as well ( i.e. ~2 dollar signs)

We'll leave Tuesday morning.

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Things to do/see/eat in Anacortes?

Are you whale watching out of Anacortes? Have you been to the San Juan’s before? Have you ever been to LaConner?

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Things to do/see/eat in Anacortes?

The main thing that's missing is a day trip to Friday Harbor. I know you said you didn't want to get in a boat again, but that's the best thing to do in the area.

Also, Deception Pass, Washington Park, Bay View State Park...

Great take out seafood/lunch from Skagit's Own Fish Market near I-5.

The tourist websites have more ideas.

https://anacortes.org/visit-anacortes/

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
3. Re: Things to do/see/eat in Anacortes?

Yes, my husband and I have been to Friday Harbor and while we enjoyed it, we were exhausted by the time it took to return to Anacortes in the evening. We'd like to take it easy and take in the surround culture this time.

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
4. Re: Things to do/see/eat in Anacortes?

We're whale watching out of Anacortes.

Haven't been to LaConner but we did go to the Tulip festival which seemed to be nearby.. and kept hoping they there would be a farm to tour. I've heard the food is good in LaConner?

Thanks for the rec on the seafood place!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Things to do/see/eat in Anacortes?

If your parents have never been to Friday Harbor I recommend you put them on a ferry. Everyone is different, but Imhave never found it tiring, but everyone is different. Yes there Are good restaurants in LaConner. My wife and a friend visited the Quilt Museum for a show all the way from Poulsbo for the day and had lunch. They enjoyed the day. They don’t remember the restaurant name and I have not been there in too long to be up on recommendations. I was also going to suggest Deception Pass a lovely spot.

Seattle
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Things to do/see/eat in Anacortes?

A drive up to the top of Mt. Erie offers fantastic views. There are trails to walk if desired, but not at all needed to take advantage of the vistas.

Washington Park has already been mentioned - but I will add my recommendation.

As for casual seafood, we never miss an opportunity for a lunch upstairs at Secret Cove! Here's a link. - Maybe check out their menu to see if it fits your definition of $$.

Bob's Chowder would be another option.

http://bobschowderbarandbbqsalmon.com/

Anacortes is a fun destination that is often overlooked. - Hope you enjoy your visit~~~~~~~~~~

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
7. Re: Things to do/see/eat in Anacortes?

Grab some bikes and hop on the ferry to Guemes Island. Ride around the island. Enjoy the beautiful views, walk along shores, and stop in the art galleries. You might be able to rent a little boat and crabbing gear at the resort -- contact them if that interests you. You can get a license at the store. Or you might be able to get the resort (Guemes Island Resort) to set up a hot tub for you with a view. Ride back and stop at the general store for a late lunch/early dinner before ferrying back. (I know you don't want to get caught up going far from Anacortes -- this crossing is 5 minutes! If you decide to go, make sure you go to the Guemes ferry dock, its not where the other ferries are).

LaConner is super cute, and definitely worth a visit. I would build it in on the way there or back, rather than back tracking. Really cute area to walk around with lots of shops. La Conner brewing has good food, only place I've eaten there!

Reply to: Things to do/see/eat in Anacortes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted