We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Alexandria to Mississauga, Ontario

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Alexandria to Mississauga, Ontario

Hi,

Me and my wife are planning to go US in May 2014, can anyone guide us:

I have full UK driving licence and I am driving in UK from last 2 years, will it be easy to drive right side in the US?

As I will be staying at my sister's house in Alexandria and she has a car, Will I need additional insurance cover for myself to drive there?

I have checked on Google maps, the driving is almost 9 hrs from Alexandria to Mississauga, will it be fine for me as I am left side driver.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Mississauga
Mississauga
Ontario, Canada
Day Trip to Mount Vernon from...
73 Reviews
from US$ 56.00*
Mt Vernon and Old Town Alexandria Bus...
169 Reviews
from US$ 78.99*
Washington DC Guided 2-Day Grand Tour...
92 Reviews
from US$ 135.00*
Mt Vernon from Washington DC
318 Reviews
from US$ 75.00*
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Alexandria to Mississauga, Ontario

It's really up to you to figure out if you're comfortable with driving on the right side of the road. It's not so hard when there is traffic you can see but be careful on lightly traveled roads. Also, Alexandria is a pretty busy town with a lot of traffic.

You'll be driving your sisters car when you're in Alexandria? Then the insurance question will probably best be answered by her insurance company.

If you find out that'd you rather not drive the nine hours to Canada you could fly or take Megabus from DC to Toronto.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Alexandria to Mississauga, Ontario

I would not want my first experience driving on the opposite side of the road to be in Alexandria. It is not easy to drive there even when you're familiar with what side of the road to drive on. I would definitely use a GPS to help you if you decide to do it.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Alexandria to Mississauga, Ontario

I grew up in the area and would not want to drive there now. 4-5 lanes, Beltway, inner-loop, outer-loop, on and off ramps on both sides. Scary. I prefer walking and golf carts! When I visit, I am white knuckled in the back seat!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Alexandria to Mississauga, Ontario

I live in Alexandria and have done the drive to and from Ontario. While it is a long drive, most of it is highway, and once you are comfortable driving on the other side of the road, you should be fine. You will have to deal with the beltway and four lane highways for the first hour, but after that, it will be just two lane highway most of the way. It's a beautiful drive in May, so go for it.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
5. Re: Driving from Alexandria to Mississauga, Ontario

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Alexandria