We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bars or Nightclubs for "Mature" cCowd

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bars or Nightclubs for "Mature" cCowd

My husband & I will be in DC in June for a business event. We are in our early 50's but love to socialize, meet new friends, and have a good time. Are there any good bars and/or nightclubs in Washington DC or Old Town Alexandria for the more mature crowd? I'm looking for something fun with at least some people over 40, but not solely a 20-30 year old crowd.

I also love to dance, so a place with dancing is a plus, but not mandatory.

Your suggestions appreciated.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bars or Nightclubs for "Mature" cCowd

Try http://thecarlyleclub.com

and http://www.birchmere.com

Edited: 08 March 2014, 01:33
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
606 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bars or Nightclubs for "Mature" cCowd

Old Town Alexandria is probably the best place for bar hopping for the mature crowd! There are too many to mention, but my favorites for 'hanging out and dropping a pint or two' is O'Connells Irish Restaurant (200 block); Virtue Feed and Grain (100 S. Union); Columbia Firehouse (100 S. St. Asaph).

The harder answer is where to go dancing in Old Town. I am aware of two places, the Speakeasy (downstairs) in the Flying Fish Restaurant (800 block of King) and 219 King Street (downstairs bar). My recollection is there is a tax issue or law related to dancing (but I am dating myself here as I know that was the law back in the 80s).

Mist's recommendation for the Carlyle Club is also good, however, it may depend on who is performing. It is a recreation of a 40's Supper Club complete with jazz and big bands. It's a full night type of event! Check out the schedule from the link above!

I hope this is helpful.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bars or Nightclubs for "Mature" cCowd

Thanks Karen,

That is the information I was looking for. Some bars where 40 somethings can go to that are not overtaken by frat boys or immature 20 something girls. The Tripadvisor information for "Bar Scene" does not provide good options.

Two Nineteen looks good. Have not been able to find anything about the Flying Fish speakeasy however, I love to dance and I thought there would be more options to dance in DC/Alexandria.

Any other suggestions...............???

Kate

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bars or Nightclubs for "Mature" cCowd

If you like country dancing, Nick's Nightclub on South Pickett Street is the way to go.

The Birchmere, mentioned above, has some of its shows in the bandstand, not the sit-down part of the facilitiy, and there's a dance floor for those shows.

5. Re: Bars or Nightclubs for "Mature" cCowd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 10:48