We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Gatsbys within walking distance to Christ Church ?

south jersey
Level Contributor
241 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Is Gatsbys within walking distance to Christ Church ?

Hello,

My wife and I are visiting the Alexandria area this Presidents Day weekend . We will be visiting Gatsby's for lunch. We would like to visit the historical Christ Church which looks very interesting. Are these both within walking distance? We are visiting Mount Vernon also on Presidents day. We would appreciate any of your comments or suggestions. Thank you!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,093 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Gatsbys within walking distance to Christ Church ?

It's a 3-block walk from Christ Church to Gadsby's (not Gatsby's) Tavern. Check Google Maps for the route.

south jersey
Level Contributor
241 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Gatsbys within walking distance to Christ Church ?

Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
583 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Gatsbys within walking distance to Christ Church ?

Gadsby's Tavern is two blocks straight down on Cameron Street from N. Royal to Washington St.! If I could warn or offer, One of the best things to do in Alexandria on President's Day is to visit the only parade in George W's honor! It will tie up traffic if you are headed to Mt. Vernon, so be forewarned! The parade begins 1-3pm! For more info see the link provided below! Watch for me marching with the Gadsby's Tavern Museum Society, and wave if you come to the parade!

http://www.washingtonbirthday.net/events

Mentioned in this post
Gadsby's Tavern
Gadsby's Tavern
719 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
south jersey
Level Contributor
241 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Gatsbys within walking distance to Christ Church ?

Thank you Karen for the helpful information! My wife and I are visiting Mount Vernon on Presidents Day. We are really looking forward to the day. I noticed Gatsby's and the Christ Church were two places that George Washington would visit. We are travelling from New Jersey. Staying overnight and love Alexandria! If you have any other suggestions we would appreciate it! Thank You! murphman

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
583 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Gatsbys within walking distance to Christ Church ?

Sorry Murph, just now seeing your reply. Alexandria's has lots of small museum venues which will be open for the day. Most within one or two blocks off of King in our historic core! Your trip wouldn't be complete without a small diversion from your walk to Christ Church. As you walk west on Cameron Street towards Christ Church, note the small clapboard house on the left with the bust of George in the window. This is a private home that sits on the foundation of a home formerly owned/used by GW. More recently was home to Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac) who had a Jazz Club here in the city! Turn right on St. Asaph and go one block for a photo op at our local 'spite house' on the 500 Block of Queen Street between Pitt and St. Asaph! Robert E. Lee was prominent in our old town and his Lee-Fendall home is on the 600 block of Oronoco (3 blocks north of King) between St. Asaph and Washington Sts. Of course Carlyle House at 100 block of N. Fairfax is worth your time; and the Stabler Apothocary on the 100 block of S. Fairfax is remarkable for it's preservation! Stop by the Ramsay House on the corner of King and Fairfax (visitor center) for more thorough information and options!

Mentioned in this post
Carlyle House
Carlyle House
250 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Fairfax
Fairfax
Virginia
south jersey
Level Contributor
241 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Gatsbys within walking distance to Christ Church ?

Thank you for the helpful information! We just returned from a visit to Old Town Alexandria. What a great city and downtown you have! We would move here in a second if we could! We visited Gatsby's on Sunday afternoon, which was nice and then visited Christ Church, which is beautiful. We walked around Old Town all day on Sunday and had a great time. I wish we stayed at the Hotel Monaco! We also went to Mount Vernon on Presidents Day! We had a great time there too ! Dinner is great at the Inn also. Thank you for your suggestions! murphman

Mentioned in this post
Old Town
Old Town
2,447 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
583 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Gatsbys within walking distance to Christ Church ?

Murph: My pleasure. Make plans to come again and be sure to get tickets in advance for the Gadsby's Birthnight Ball in honor of George Washington's final birthday. It's a re-enactment event of his last gathering at Gadsby's in 1799. Most of the Presidents attend, including Madison and Jefferson...very cool event and worth every penny! We are glad you enjoyed your stay!

Next time bring your pets and stay at the Monaco (Note: All Kimpton hotels are dog friendly and do not charge extra for pets)! They have a Doggie Happy hour between April - Oct! The Monaco is my personal favorite too!

Come see us again soon!

Edited: 18 February 2014, 05:52
Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
8. Re: Is Gatsbys within walking distance to Christ Church ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 11:50
Get answers to your questions about Alexandria