We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended Stay Alexandria - Eisenhower Ave.

tulsa
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Extended Stay Alexandria - Eisenhower Ave.

I am looking at the Extended Stay on Eisenhower, Can anyone tell me if it is within walking distance to a metro stop? What else is with in walking distance, restaurants, shops, etc? How long is the trip by metro to the tourist sites in DC?

Day Trip to Mount Vernon from...
76 Reviews
from US$ 56.00*
Mt Vernon and Old Town Alexandria Bus...
169 Reviews
from US$ 78.99*
Washington DC Guided 2-Day Grand Tour...
92 Reviews
from US$ 135.00*
Mt Vernon from Washington DC
318 Reviews
from US$ 75.00*
La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extended Stay Alexandria - Eisenhower Ave.

According to the little map on the hotel's website, it's just over a mile from the Eisenhower Ave metrorail station which has trains on both the blue and yellow lines (routes). (The hotel may have a courtesy shuttle?) The blue line will take you directly to the Smithsonian stop without needing to transfer. The yellow line will take you even quicker still to L'Enfant Plaza stop from which you can walk to the Air & Space Museum or else transfer one more quick stop to Smithsonian station. Eisenhower Avenue is a long, flat road which developed with office buildings in the 1970s to 1990s. The part of Eisenhower near the metro station houses the U.S. Patent Office, and there is also the stylish Carlyle Towers apartments, and there is also the very popular "Hoffman" movie theater complex . You can research the distance to nearby restaurants by going on one of the Yellow Pages websites and typing in the address of the hotel (200 Blue Stone Road, Alexandria VA 22304) and specify 'restaurants" or whatever. If you have extra time, you would also enjoy "Old Town Alexandria" which is a historic colonial-era neighborhood which is charming, stylish and touristy with many eating, drinking, and boutique establishments and a riverfront promenade with cruise boats.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 09:06
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,115 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extended Stay Alexandria - Eisenhower Ave.

This part of Alexandria is not where I would choose to stay if I were coming to D.C. as a tourist. As you will see from Google Maps, the hotel is surrounded by highways and train tracks, not restaurants and shops. Even if the hotel has a shuttle, that's a hassle getting to/from the Metro station. I would suggest you look for accommodations either in D.C., Arlington or in Alexandria near the King Street Metro.

If you can provide a budget, the number of beds needed and the dates of your visit, we may be able to recommend some hotels. You could also post that information on the Washington D.C. forum for even more exposure and responses.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Extended Stay Alexandria - Eisenhower Ave.

I stayed at Extended Care Alexandria last April. The staff is nice, friendly, and very helpful. It is NOT, however, walking distance to a metro station. The Eisenhower seemed to me a lot farther than a mile. The Van Dorn station, which is the one I used, if you get there by 7:30 a.m., you will get a parking spot. There is no shuttle service offered, or at least there wasn't last April. And the free continental breakfast ~ by the time I got there, everything was pretty much gone.

I suppose you could walk to the Eisenhower station, but if you're walking all day in DC, then get on a metro and walking that (more than a) mile back to Extended Care, you'll be totally wiped out.

Within walking distance? If you've a small child in your party, there is a great park not too far away with lots of things to play on. That's close by.

I did like Extended Care, but I had a car and that made all the difference. Hope this helps

jc

4. Re: Extended Stay Alexandria - Eisenhower Ave.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 10:56
Get answers to your questions about Alexandria