We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a 4WD in March?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a 4WD in March?

(cross-posting from the general Utah forum)

Hi all,

I'll be skiing in Utah in the 2nd week of March, and I'm wondering: do I need to rent an SUV, or can I get by with a normal sedan? I plan to be in Park City most of the time, but I do want to pick two days and drive to Alta. Will I make it without 4WD? Will I get stuck in Little Cottonwood Canyon overnight if a sudden snowstorm shows up? If prices were at all comparable, I'd be going with the SUV and not starting this thread. As it is, it's more than double the price, and I can't really throw that much extra cash around unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,803 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a 4WD in March?

I would reserve both and make your decision by looking at the advance forecast a day or two out.

The simple answer is, yes, you could get stuck. But it's totally dependent on the weather. There's been times in May when it could have happened.

It's more likely to be a problem in Little Cottonwood than Park City.

2. Re: Do I need a 4WD in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 14:48
Get answers to your questions about Alta