We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around Austin

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
Walking around Austin

Hello,

I’m traveling with my husband and toddler to the Austin area for a couple of days. We are staying at Hotel San Jose. We would like to grab bbq at Terry Blacks around 4pm. Then we want to walk along the river trail to Capitol Cruises. There we plan to take the 7pm boat ride to see the bats. Would it be safe to walk to and from the hotel? The boat ride is an hour or so. Or should we just drive there? The distance doesn’t bother me. It seems like an easy walk. I’m more concerned with walking the area at night with a toddler and how safe the walk will be at around 8pm. It appears to only be about a 20 min walk and less than a mile away. If it is best to drive, where can we park that would be easy to visit Terry Blacks, the river and then head to Capital Cruises without moving the car?

Thanks for the help!

10 replies to this topic
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Walking around Austin

Austin has a lot of walkers and you should be fine walking. When are you planning your trip? Bats leave when it gets cold.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Walking around Austin

Hey Octoboy - We are coming at the end of Sept! :) can’t wait!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Walking around Austin

Thank you for your feedback! We prefer to walk if possible.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,332 posts
660 reviews
4. Re: Walking around Austin

You can easily walk around Austin and later in the month is good because it won't be as hot.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Walking around Austin

I sure hope so! Wishing it is at least less oppressive than Louisiana tempatures right now! It’s down right miserable lately with the humid temperatures and mosquitoes.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: Walking around Austin

You'll love the San Jose. Your plans are fine for walking. Lots of people around where you're going. I am wary of going east of Congress on the Lady Bird Trail after dark. Double check your plans with the front desk at the San Jose and they'll reassure you.

Welcome to Austin!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: Walking around Austin

Thanks for your feedback, Yankeetransplant! I will discuss our plans with the hotel staff as well. We are looking forward to the visit!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
8. Re: Walking around Austin

Thanks again, everyone! Your feedback was appreciated. We enjoyed the San Jose very much! We thought it was a perfect location. We also enjoyed the walk from San Jose to the Bridge to watch the bats. It was an easy and safe walk. We ended up walking it several times and never had issues walking around Austin. All sidewalks were stroller friendly and made the walking easy. We even walked from San Jose to Shady Grove. Might be a bit of a long walk for some but we enjoyed it.

Austin was a fun town and we very much enjoyed our time in the area!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,332 posts
660 reviews
9. Re: Walking around Austin

Unfortunately though it is still hot.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
59 reviews
10. Re: Walking around Austin

Glad you had a good visit! You made such a smart choice with the San Jose. We appreciate feedback, both good and bad! Austin is growing so rapidly its hard for us locals to keep up with everything!

Please come back soon!

Reply to: Walking around Austin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted