We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Base with Toddler

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
470 posts
72 reviews
Good Base with Toddler

We are thinking of traveling to Austin mid September this year. I will be with my husband and 3 year old. We like hiking, parks, local food, and walking around the neighborhoods. We would like our hotel to be convenient to restaurants and shops. It seems like downtown is the best option for a base. Is this because of 6th street? Is 6th mainly bars and we don't have to be so close since we are traveling with a toddler? And most hotels in that area are out of our budget of approx $200/night. We are thinking of the Embassy Suites ($526 total). I was also looking at an Air B&B in the Zilker neighborhood ($300 total). We will only be in Austin for a couple of days (Wed-Fri). We will have our car but would like to walk to places from our hotel. We would prefer not to drive a lot. I have even considered the Hotel San Jose but it is a little bit out of our budget range. I'm not 100% sure of the best area for my family. I know we are interested in visiting some local parks with our toddler. We would like to see the bats and Barton Springs. We would like to eat at a few local Austin restaurants that have a fun atmosphere and kid friendly. We do enjoy a good kid friendly brewery as well. I would like to visit the shops on Congress Street. When we leave Austin, we will be heading to San Antonio and will stop in between to explore Gruene's Historic District.

Thanks for any input and suggestions on places to stay and also to visit with a toddler!

6 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Good Base with Toddler

You've found two good options. Embassy Suites and the San Jose. both are convenient for lots of shops and restaurants. Stroller friendly options are all on South Congress and you're also in a good place for the bats. I think the San Jose offers free parking so you could easily get to your car for Zilker Park. The toddler will love the little Zilker Zephyr train and you can peek at Barton Springs pool.

Weather will be warm in September but the water at Barton Springs might be a bit chilly for the little one.

Www.austintexas.org is the official web site for visitors. Order your snail mail copy of the Visitor's Guide and free maps. Read it on line till it comes.

Welcome to Austin!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
470 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: Good Base with Toddler

Thanks so much for all of the tips! I believe we will just go with the San Jose. It seems like a nice option and is actually a good deal when I factor in free parking.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Good Base with Toddler

+1 for San Jose.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
470 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: Good Base with Toddler

Thanks everyone! We went ahead and booked San Jose for 2 nights :)

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Good Base with Toddler

Don't miss Toy Joy on 2nd Street. You'll have as much fun as your toddler will!

Again, welcome to Austin!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
470 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Good Base with Toddler

That's a huge toy store. Not sure if my husband or our toddler will have more fun in there :)

Reply to: Good Base with Toddler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted