We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

liquor store?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
liquor store?

I just moved to Athens and was surprised about how hard it is to buy hard liquors. I know the state has a strict law on liquor purchase. But the only place I can find hard liquors is the liquor store in Kroger. But the price is a little bit higher. Is there any other place I can get some ordinary whisky?

1 reply
Fairlawn, Ohio
Level Contributor
216 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: liquor store?

The State of Ohio has a monopoly on liquor over 42 proof; these are referred to as "spirituous liquors" and can only be sold in state liquor stores. Some state liquor stores are stand-alone stores but many of the grocery stores have them as well. If they are in state stores, you'll notice that they have another entrance inside the store and you have to pay for the liquor before you leave to continue your shopping. Liquors with lower alcohol content should be available elsewhere in the grocery store and they'll be more cheaply priced; they'll also be sold in convenience stores, gas stations, and places like Costco and Sam's Club.

I don't live near Athens but with Ohio University in Athens, I would assume there are places to get cheaper alcohol.

Reply to: liquor store?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Athens