We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent Restaurant

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
377 reviews
Save Topic
Decent Restaurant

Hello,

I will be traveling with my daughter who will be interviewing at OU in January. We will be staying two nights and are interested in dining that is representative of the area's cuisine (we are traveling from the southwest) or a place considered a "mainstay" by the local student body. The second night we'd like to eat at a "fine" establishment...a restaurant considered the best place by the locals.

Any help is appreciated!

Restaurant Salaam
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, International, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean
Jackie O's Pub & Brewery
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, American, Bar, Pub
Donkey Coffee
₹, Cafe, American
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent Restaurant

GO BOBCATS!!!

Athens is a beautiful campus and a unique college town. I think it's easily one of the prettiest parts of Ohio. You'll easily see your fair share of hills!

As far as food... it's a college town, so it's not too tough to find fast food. A couple of my favorites in the quick and easy category... "O'Betty's Red Hot" if you're in the mood for hot dogs, or "The Burrito Buggy" for some delicious burritos. "Pita Pit" was a popular stop for a lot of others, but it really wasn't one of my favorites. And for breakfast, the hands down winner is "Union St. Cafe" ...on Union St. of course.

"Fine establishments" in uptown Athens are a little tougher to find. "Stevens" (sp?) and "Seven Sauces" are the local "nicer places to eat." Anyone looking for a nicer dinner uptown would usually hit up one of those two. If you want to drive a little, the "OU Inn" always got rave reviews. I never ate at any of these finer establishments, because I was broke and in college. Though I will say all my roomies and friends who went to these places (two of which grew up in Athens) all had good things to say about these places.

Good luck, and let me know what you decide on!

-J007Stix

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent Restaurant

Thank you so much!

Madison, Alabama
Level Contributor
83 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent Restaurant

The Pub has great burgers and onion rings. Stephens is great. McHappy's has good dough nuts. Bob Evans is good there for chain food.

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent Restaurant

Ooo...thank you! Can't go wrong wih doughnuts in a college town! I just hope we desert rats can tolerate the cold midwestern weather for a few days. We won't be eating any ice cream!

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent Restaurant

We survived our visit to Athens, despite the ice and the power outages in the adjacent towns. Even shrouded in glacial ice, the campus looks lovely. The OU Inn was a nice place to stay. Cutler's, the

restaurant in the Inn, was fantastic. We did eat at

Stephen's and found it "OK", but it was less expensive than Cutler's. Didn't have the chance to try others, however. We may return, if the daughter is accepted to the VisCom School.

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent Restaurant

Daughter accepted her invitation to attend OU so we delivered her in September. Restaurant not to be missed is Zoe! Wonderful continental cuisine prepared with fresh, local ingredients. Probably the most expensive restaurant in Southeast Ohio. It's BYOB and they'll serve it with a small corkage fee.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
7. Re: Decent Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 12:47
Get answers to your questions about Athens