We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to go, getting there is proving tricky & expensive!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Want to go, getting there is proving tricky & expensive!

Hi, we're a young couple who have fallen in love with the idea of Patara thanks to these forums and people's descriptions!

We want to go in september for 2 weeks and really like the look of Akay Pension. But here's the problem- the flights are so damned expensive! And then transfers are scary pricey in Turkey. So far we've found a good deal flying into Dalaman and flying out of Antalya, but is it possible to get a bus to and from Patara without a major hassle? I can't seem to find enough details and it's feeling like a headache, but we don't want to give up on our Patara dream! Any advice would be very welcome, especially on how we could save money! Thanks!

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Want to go, getting there is proving tricky & expensive!

Hi, the problem with Patara is that it is sort of in the middle of these 2 airports - but then maybe that is a factor that has allowed it to remain so unspoiled by the masses! It is about 90 mins to 2 hours drive by car from Dalaman Airport - and you can do it by bus, but I think you probably have to do it via Fethiye.

Tell us what time your proposed flight arrives at Dalaman- (and again departs from Antalya) because if these are "silly o'clock" times, then it gets a bit more difficult. Have you asked the Akay Pension for the cost of a transfer - obviously it would be dearer but might be worthwhile considering when compared to the time and hassle of bussing in.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Want to go, getting there is proving tricky & expensive!

You've got a couple of added hassles that could add hours to your travelling time if you use the bus.

You'll need to get a taxi from the airport to the Otogar in Dalaman. That'll be about 25 TL / £10.

You'll probably have to change buses in Fethiye.

Buses from Fethiye to Kalkan / Kas / Antalya go past the Patara turning on the D400 and will stop to drop you off. Then you've either got to get a dolmus / local mini-bus or a taxi into the centre of the village.

The cost of a taxi from Dalaman to Patara is, according to their website, £70, which to be honest is pretty reasonable for a taxi fare. A2B Transfers are quoting £102 on their website.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
16,169 posts
127 reviews
3. Re: Want to go, getting there is proving tricky & expensive!

Hi eroewen,

first of all, please don´t miss your trip to Patara and try to give it a chance:-).

As the other forumites told you already it is a bit difficult to go there by public transport.

I send you a link where you will find all infos I could get about it some months ago.

Unfortunately the young man still hasn´t have the time to post a report, we all are very curious how he has managed his transfers. He just sent me a PM that he is back and everything was fine.

But as he has been at Olympos as well I suppose that he has used the bus to Antalya too.

Perhaps you could send him a PM and ask him for some more details.

There has been another travller in Patara who posted a review of the Akay Pension and he seemed to be very pleased.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298657-i5548-k2…

I hope you will find some usefull infos. If you need some more suggestions please ask.

Good luck and tschüss

patara01

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Want to go, getting there is proving tricky & expensive!

Firstly, thanks to all of you for your fast replies.

The links to those other discussions have also been very useful.

From what I've found on the web, Jet, who owns Jet Pension in Patara, is offering Dalaman to Patara for £55! And I think he's happy to do it for people staying at other places too, so this looks like the easiest and most cost effective.

Our flight would arrive to Dalaman at 23.05 so buses aren't an option :(

Now, flying back from Dalaman is sooo expensive! So Antalya it'll have to be (but at about 13.00). The general price seems to be about £100 for a transfer there. So would a taxi into Fethiye or Kalkan, to get a bus up to Antalya be feasible? Or are we again talking major hassle and time not worth the saving?

I've emailed Akay, so hope he comes up with something or knows someone in the know!

The problem with all this is that best case scenario we'll be left with £250 spending money between both of us for the whole stay. Although we may be able to raise a bit extra, how much would you budget per day? We will be going to the beach every day, buy a light lunch from a shop or similar and then have a simple evening meal of 1 dish and a drink. We really don't do anything on holiday but lay like vegetables!

Sorry for this mammoth reply, hope some of you have the answers! Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Want to go, getting there is proving tricky & expensive!

Just as I posted the above, the lovely Kazim got back to me, saying his friend has a travel agency and can offer me transfers for Dalaman to Patara around £52, Antalya around £65! I'm thinking I should bite his hand off on this one, what a great deal! :D

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
16,169 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Want to go, getting there is proving tricky & expensive!

Hi again,

if the taxi rides are too expensive you can go by taxi or dolmus to the junction at the main road and then take the bus that is running from Fethiye to Antalya. I hope that it will work this way round too, I only know of people who have left the bus at this junction, to go to Patara.

But the locals can tell you more, I´m sure.

Jet is a very kind and honest man and a reasonable driver too.

I send you some more links, with some prices.

But I don´t know how much you have to pay for a dinner.

Maybe that Akai offers a daily transport to the Beach.

But if you want to avoid the entrance fee and if you don´t need a sunbed you could walk over the hill to the dunes and climb up to the beach.It´s easy going, about 3/4 hour. Follow the road to the big hotel at the hill and then follow the road to the left. There is another path across the bushes and dunes along the lake but it is difficult to describe. Ask Jet, he will know the way.

Many people do that. You could buy a cheap umbrella and take it with you. And of course a lot to drink. Sometimes we walked this way and then headed to the beach bar (lokanta) and had a cold water or a snack and then rented sunbeds because we are old people who need these amanities:-).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298657-i5548-k272…

Enjoy your trip

patara01

Runcorn, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Want to go, getting there is proving tricky & expensive!

hi stayed at the akay last year kazim is a great man dont buy a sun brolly he will lend you one we also booked transfers with him no problem an evening meal is about 6 quid at the akay and probly the best meal youll ever have

8. Re: Want to go, getting there is proving tricky & expensive!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 11:54
Get answers to your questions about Patara