We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

Hi, I dont even know if I've posted this in the right forum....But anyways,

We are looking for 3 rooms for 5 nights in Maldives in the 3rd week of Aug, in a deluxe hotel with good restaurants and bars. I've been scouting the forums and reviews for the last few days but haven't found an answer yet. Our budget is around $ 250 - 300 per night, but we dont want to land up with the abnormal expenses on account of ferrying to the hotel, and then being stuck up in a remote island with no where else to go to. We are in the age group of 55 - 60 and would like some activity and other restaurant and bars to visit, other than the hotel's. A coral lagoon by the room is high on the list, but then so also is an air conditioned room with wi fi. And if it is already not enough, 4 of us are vegans. I've looked at Kurumba, LUX, Hilton but dont have the answers yet. Grateful for your replies. Thanx.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

It doesn't sound like the Maldives is for you I'm afraid....

Your island is your hotel, and you remain there for the duration of your stay. All meals will be taken at your resort, which may have more than one restaurant - but you will be unable to travel elsewhere to eat.

Resorts do take organised trips to other islands, or to Male if close enough - but you can't just hop in a boat and wander off at will.

Lux and Hilton will require seaplane transfers, which will be expensive (around $500 per couple at least).

You mention coral near your room, Lux does not have an easily accessible house reef.

Finally, if you mean August this year, you'll be lucky to find availability for 3 rooms.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Ian

Edited: 17 July 2012, 12:18
suffolk
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

.....and that budget? That's obviously per room.

"stuck up in a remote island with nowhere else to go"......exactly what the Maldives is all about.

Rethink methinks.

John

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

The Hilton is $500 plus tax each for return seaplane. As suffolk says being 'stuck' on a remote island is why people usually travel to the Maldives and there are no other restaurant and bars other than the resort's.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

Thanx guys.

Hmm re- Thinking.

Yes $ 250 was per room. As far as websites go, there seem to be enough rooms though.

But anyways, let me prioritize, coral lagoon by the hotel for sure. Nearby Male could possibly be another, so we could have a bit of both worlds.

Kurumba seemed to have 7 or 8 restaurants, and was in our budget. Any idea about its location ?

Also one of the guys has a 3 night comp in LUX, and you've said it does not have an accessible coral, but does it score over Kurumba in other respects ?

Thanks again, appreciate your inputs.

Naresh

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

I had a quick look on Agoda and Vilamendhoo is within your budget. It's highly rated amongst fellow forumers on here for good reef, food etc.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

Kurumba is a good island and close to Male. This may well suit you if you are not chasing the desert island feel. Saves on expensive transfers which can take up to half a day out of your short trip. As you say, a good choice of restaurants, short transfers to Male to see the capital.....half day at most required. Snorkelling will be excellent for first timers.

John

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

Does that budget include transfers to the resort? Seaplane transfers will usually run upwards of $400 per PERSON depending on its distance from the airport.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

On a side note....who sets the seaplane transfer rates? Is it the seaplane company or the resort?

There seems to be a wide variation in costs even for resorts involving similar flight times etc. At the end of the day you are basically travelling in the same seaplane ( we got transferred to Komandoo in the Conrad logo'd plane once ), so why the huge variation in costs (eg $600 per couple to $500 per person) for a 30 minute trip?

Back on topic, agree with the others - I think somewhere like Kurumba would be most suitable for Naresh1410....

Ian

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

icn05, I'm pretty sure the rate is set based on the distance and duration of the transfer. The Hilton is among the more expensive transfers at $500 per person, but it is also 45-minutes long. Most transfers to the Ari Atoll are under 30 minutes, so this would explain the extra cost.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deluxe Hotel in Maldives

Ian

I think there is also an element of the type of island. I'm sure the luxury islands have a higher transfer cost than a cheaper island.

OD