We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to get summer dresses

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
44 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
where to get summer dresses

this may sound foolish to a lot, but i m quite desperate.

my husband surprised me 2 days ago with a holiday in the maldives. we will be flying on sunday. (in 3 days!!!)

I checked my clothes and dont have any nice summer /beach dresses! it's close impossible to find anything in the stores during winter and online store's delivery takes minimum 1 week.

I dont know what to do. It would be a pity when taking pics on those beautiful beaches, as it will be a once in lifetime experience.

My only hope is to find good stores to buy summer /beach dresses in male. are they any? which can you recommend?

please tell me some shops for beach dresses! (i m size 6/8)

please please help!!!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to get summer dresses

which island will you be staying on? only those that are close to male offer excursions there. i am sure nefertari can tell you where to shop for clothes in male . the sizes are tiny in the maldives ... as a 6/8 you might be able to squeeze into about the largest they offer.

alternatively .... buy swimwear in sporting goods and dive stores ... all islands carry sarongs in their gift shops . with a bikini top and a sarong, you are beautifully dressed for all day long ... you can wear the sarong as a skirt or dress.

for evening, a couple of summerdresses are really enough ... you do not need anything long or heavy . t shirts/tank tops and a cotton skirt will go a long way ... these crinkle skirts are good as you can not expect anything to stay ironed .

shorts and tops are good for men and women .

you do not need shoes of any sort except one pair of flip flops for hot jetties and island excursions.

2. Re: where to get summer dresses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 18:58
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
44 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to get summer dresses

we will be in Fihalhohi. (i think thats close to male)

i have my swim wear. but i really need some summer dresses.

(i didnt shop any this year, as we didn't have any plans to go anywhere).

i feel little uncomfortable to wear sarong.

uk
Level Contributor
850 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to get summer dresses

Hi there, lucky you thats a nice surprise. Size 6 to 8 no problem, you'll get some dresses in Male. The a shop called MC Wear which even has some items in from M&S and H & M. You can also buy them from Sonee sports etc. What flight you coming in on? Maybe you can ask for afternoon transfer and pop across to Male before your seaplane. PM me more details.

Edited: 09 December 2010, 17:39
Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to get summer dresses

Borrow from friends/family?

In England the surf type stores stock limited beach wear in the winter months and as Spammie says try dive stores.

During the day in the Maldives it is very casual and in the Eve you can dress up a bit so could take cocktail type dresses and then dress them down with flip flops if you had that sort of thing?

You can get away with wearing most things, not too much bling, revealing or heavy fabrics like denim though.

Hope you get sorted.

T23

Edited: 09 December 2010, 17:56
Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to get summer dresses

I hope you get this in time. I ordered some travel fins from simply snorkel at 3.15 pm on Tuesday. They were dispatched at 3.30pm same day and arrived today!!!!

There is also a simply beach website which has what you are looking for and if you do it today you may be OK. The site is simplybeach.com

Wid

Edited: 09 December 2010, 18:52
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to get summer dresses

someones got to say it Charity shops, great selection near me!!!

Marden, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to get summer dresses

If you are flying from Gatwick, Accessorize have sarongs and summer tops/dresses to wear over swimwear (well they did last week). Next had a few summer things too. I have also bought shorts out of season at the airport in the past.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to get summer dresses

Plenty of them heading back into Mrs John's wardrobe!

John

10. Re: where to get summer dresses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2011, 09:47