We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

Pune, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

I'm travelling to Phuket from New Delhi in the month of December 2014. I have booked Malaysian Airlines and have lay over of 2 hours at Kuala Lumper international airport Terminal M and further flight will depart from same Terminal M to Phuket. Just to be on safer side - do i need any transit visa for Malaysia.

173 replies to this topic
Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

Not required if on one ticket

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

nope. you are a transit passenger.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

Cheers guys!

Trivandrum, India
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

Hi every one,

I am in a same situation. I am travelling from kochi to jakarta via KLIA2 (Kualalampur). I am holding an indian passport. I have transit at KLIA2 for 5 hours. Do i need a visa, if i fly through malindo air with a single flight ticket.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
5. Re: Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

Hi johny_depp,

nope..you are also in transit,as your ticket,which you mentioned this flight of yours is on one ticket(viz. one PNR). Your baggage when you check in at COK is tagged to CGK already, so you need not re check in..and your boarding pass should be issued for the second leg, otherwise, no problem, at transfer hall in KLIA2(access via Gate L), you can get your boarding pass for KUL to CGK.

Then check FID screen to find which is your departure gate for flight to CGK.

Trivandrum, India
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

Customer care executive of malindo air has told me that i will be provided with both boarding pass while i check in at kochi airport. So i guess i don't need to collect one from transfer hall. Thanks alot for the detailed reply mKiaratravel. Have a nice day :)

1 post
7. Re: Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

Greetings !

I will be travelling from Bangalore(India) to Bali via KL by air asia. Do I need to obtain a transit pass or visa in Malaysia. Would appreciate complete info including the procedure for obtaining transit pass

Thanks in advance

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
8. Re: Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

Hi jaicnr,

as AirAsia does not provide through check in for BLR to DPS (viz. no fly thru), you need to obtain /apply transit visa beforehand in India..that is if your nationality passport is from India.

If you have checked luggage, you are required to retrieve at KLIA2,then re check in/baggage drop(if you had done web check in) for your KUL to DPS sector.

The reason is that you are travelling on two PNRs (viz. BLR to KUL, then KUL to DPS).

At the moment,off my memory, AirAsia only have fly thru to DPS from these following in India- MAA, COK and CCU.

Edited: 08 October 2014, 06:51
New Delhi, India
4 posts
9. Re: Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

hi everyone,

i am watching this forum quite for some time now. I also have an similar query and i m fed up contacting VFS Delhi and Malaysian High Commission Delhi bu no one is able to give me the concrete answer so at last i need all your expert advise on this. Actually i m going to Bali from Delhi in May 2015 through Malindo Airlines but i booked all the sectors separately in order to get the best deal. that is form DEL-KUL and KUL-Bali with two different PNR and similarly with the case of DPS-KUL and KUL-DEL. Also note that will not be carrying any check in baggage. So my question is, Do I still need a Malaysian visa or can i transit without Malaysian visa? Also note that i do not have visa to the third country i.e Bali as well because Indians are eligible only for VOA at Bali. Secondly, will there a problem in getting the boarding pass for the onward flight to Bali from KLIA 2 as i do not intend to move out of the airport. The stopover time in both the cases at KLIA 2 will be around 3 hours. Please guide me accordingly. Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
10. Re: Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?

Hi,

re post #9,

more so you are on Malindo Airlines,which immigration over here and airline have not done any reciprocal arrangement for Indian nationals.

And since you are on two PNRs, highly advisable that you obtain transit visa beforehand.

I have read in this forum posted by your countrymen/women of horror stories flying with Malindo Airlines,where flight are re rerouted,

tripadvisor.com.my/ShowTopic-g293951-i7006-k…

of relevance post #41.

Reply to: Do I need a transit visa for Malaysia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted