We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shisha cafes in KL

Canton of Basel...
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Shisha cafes in KL

Does anyone know of a shisha cafe in KL? in case anyone is wondering what the hell a shisha is, its a middle eastern pipe where you can smoke fruit flavoured tobacco. Its very big here in London so I'm hoping its even bigger in Asia :-)

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Shisha cafes in KL

phatdoctor,

Where abouts have you seen people sitting around smoking these in London ?

This question has come up before on the Malaysia forum and there was no answer. I suppose it is just not popular here. I've never seen it here in Malaysia. Istanbul, Cairo, Tripoli, yes but not in Malaysia.

Maybe you could bring your own pipe or start smoking the Indonesian Garam cigarettes, they smell just like the pipe tabacco your talking about.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shisha cafes in KL

Hi phatdoctor, I am very delighted with your postings, and to share it with my good TA friend-Robelyn15, as earlier I was looking around KL for a shisha pipe and tobacco.

Okay, in KL, there is Little Arab, located at Jalan Berangan off Jalan Bukit Bintang, and they are a few shisha cafes.

I managed to get my shisha pipe, after returning from Europe, from a shop in Nilai; earlier I went to Sunway Pyramid, for a shop called Little Egypt, but they had ceased operations here, and relocated to Nilai. It is in Bandar Baru Nilai 2, among the row of shophouses.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shisha cafes in KL

mKiaratravel !

Nice one my friend, I'd never heard of this kind of pipe being smoked in Malaysia.

I don't smoke one myself but just for future reference does the pipe supplier also sell all the different tabacco's. Or I suppose you can buy it from the cafe's you have mentioned.

Next time I'm in KL I'll go and have a look at these cafe's, it will take me dowm memory lane.

Thanks.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shisha cafes in KL

Robelyn15, tobacco from the shop selling the pipes is cheaper than from the cafes (even with fuel and toll factored in); and besides with the Expressway, Nilai is relatively near, and sometimes the journey is faster than commuting in the traffic jams in Golden Triangle.

At the shop that I bought, they even mix the different flavoured tobacco in proportion and have in in vacuum packed packaging.

Phatdoctor: Robelyn did mention about those Indonesian Gudang Garam clove cigarettes. Do try it, if you have not.

If you are also into pipes, there is a good pipe shop in the new wing of IUtama, a suburban shopping mall in Petaling Jaya. Relatively easy to reach, as it provides a complimentary shuttle bus from Kelana Jaya Putra LRT station.

This bus will drop you at the front entrance of Giant Supermarket, and the pipe shop is diagonally opposite this supermarket.

Canton of Basel...
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shisha cafes in KL

Hi Robelyn15, there is a place in London called Edgware Road (adjacent ot the famous shopping area, Oxford Street) which is also known as "little Arabia". And this is where you will find Arab shops, restaurants etc.. and the main place for shisha. Its lovely to sit outside on a warm evening, sip mint teas and puff away on an apple pipe.

But I will look out for the Arab area when I'm in KL.. could you tell me which hotels are close by? I will be staying at the Ritz Carlton.

Thanx

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shisha cafes in KL

phatdoctor,

Yes, of course, I know where you are talking about. The main road north going away from Marble Arch. Very popular with kuwaiti's etc.

Lots of shops selling, arabic clothing etc. Used to be similar around Earls Court.

mKiaratravel,

By coincidence I have found a cafe/bar here where they have one pipe, the owner is swedish. The place is called The Pier, do you know it ?.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shisha cafes in KL

Hi phatdoctor, Little Arab in Jalan Berangan(off Jalan Bukit Bintang) is about 10-15 minutes away.

Good choice with Ritz Carlton hotel.

From Ritz, use the covered walkway to Starhill Gallery, then you will be in Bintang Walk (Bukit Bintang) areas. Lot of al fresco eateries.

Opposite Ritz Carlton is a simple bungalow is a renowed no frills Chinese restaurant- Kah Soh-high recommended.

Thanks for the tip about shisha cafes in London- miss this when in London recently.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shisha cafes in KL

Hi phatdoctor, Little Arab in Jalan Berangan(off Jalan Bukit Bintang) is about 10-15 minutes away.

Good choice with Ritz Carlton hotel.

From Ritz, use the covered walkway to Starhill Gallery, then you will be in Bintang Walk (Bukit Bintang) areas. Lot of al fresco eateries.

Opposite Ritz Carlton is a simple bungalow is a renowed no frills Chinese restaurant- Kah Soh-high recommended.

Thanks for the tip about shisha cafes in London- miss this when in London recently.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Shisha cafes in KL

Saw one of these pipes being prepared and used at The Seashell Restuarant (Mutiara) yesterday. I had never seen one in Malaysia before. Must be on the look out for them now.

10. Re: Shisha cafes in KL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 04:47