We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elderly people visiting Batu caves?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
Elderly people visiting Batu caves?
Save

Hi All, Is there any escalator or lift or cable car type of thing for the elderly people to visit this temple? I am planning to visit with my parents who have a heart condition and climbing 250+ steps is not possible.

Greenacre, Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
63 reviews
129 helpful votes
1. Re: Elderly people visiting Batu caves?
Save

I have not seen anything but stairs. There are plans to build cable cars but according to the following article, will be ready some time in 2014.

http://www.nst.com.my/streets/central/batu-caves-cable-cars-ready-by-2014-1.199127

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
39,362 posts
352 reviews
398 helpful votes
2. Re: Elderly people visiting Batu caves?
Save

There are 250+ steps, no escalators, no stair lift, no cable car.

Guess it depends on how elderly they are. My 80 year old ma could not do it, but my 84 year old pa could - I consider them elderly. Mr Mitch and I are in our 50s and we could both do the steps.

However, the views are better from the bottom of the caves, as they are very dark, smelly and overated, IMO!

Do please remember to say please and thank you to everyone as it is most welcome both here on the forum when asking a question and in Malaysia itself. Always travel with a please, a thank you and a smile, then folks will always be more willing to help you! Thank you so much for asking your question.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
583 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Elderly people visiting Batu caves?
Save

I really think it might be a struggle for them to climb the stairs. Though it is quite nice at the bottom They could walk round there while you climb the stairs. There are coffee places there as well where they can wait for you.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Elderly people visiting Batu caves?
Save

Thanks all for the reply :)

5. Re: Elderly people visiting Batu caves?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?