We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

Kuala Lumpur...
6 posts
Save Topic
secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

hi,

i was in chinatown buying stuff and when heading back

home, we found a local who spoke our language.

we tchatted and told him how much we paid, he said that

we had been ripped off, but that is what happen to anyone looking like an europeen in chinatown

he then told us that every morning, and only the morning, there is a street parralel to jalan petaling where we can buy the same sort of tuff, if you kniow what i mean =D

do you know where that would be?

thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

Hi sliders,

As you are purportedly to be from KL - you would know that there are as many Lorongs that surround Jalan Petaling as there are gullible persons.

Cheers ツ

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

Probably the same kind of government approved secret gem store that is having a sale, just for that day...

Kuala Lumpur...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

no no, this is happening every morning according to him

i'm not local, i'm from france and studyng here for 3 month.

we were far from chinatow and speaking french, one local was happy to talk with us in order to pratice his french

in the conversation he spoke to us about this, but we had to go and couldn't ask for more specific details.

well i'm going to see this PUDU market now, it's near jalan petaling and from 3aM to 7aM, may be he was reffering to that

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

it's a scam, a con, a trick. and if you go off with a stranger who is doing something against the law, in order to do something against the law yourself, in my opinion, you deserve whatever you get.

pam

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,731 posts
1,719 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

If you bargain hard can still get good deals in Chinatown. No need to go to 'secret streets'.

Tommo

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

The traders in Chinatown do have a "place" where they load / unload their goods. Surely you dont expect their goods to arrive by armoured vehicle right?

I know of a place where they unload fruits but this place is not for tourist to go. There is also a "Head Office" for all the bosses of Chinatown, again not for tourist or even locals to go.

Keep to the tourist area of Chinatown and not into those backlane, you may end up losing more than $$$$ if you do.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
437 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

Are you planning to buy in bulk that you would go around looking for this "secret" street ? Probably he was pulling a fast one on you.

Probolinggo...
Level Contributor
110 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

Hi!

I think he meant 'Lorong Karat' - it's a fence for stolen items.

Don't go there, can be quite dangerous. You can get into trouble with the cops as well.

Kuala Lumpur...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

thanks, just seen some pictures, it's parallel to chinatown, and run from 5:30am to 10am, looks like it is the right one

everybody talks about danger, but i've gone to pudu market this night (they was only food, kind of disapointing, but still, it was cool)

everybody was telling me how dangerous it was over there at 4am, my school gave me an emergency number, etc

in the end i just saw joyfull people happy to explain to me what was this or what was that and selling me stuf for really cheap prices

we of course don't go alone, we are always 2-4

what suprises me the most is how people are able to tell that we are french, i mean, i can't tell if an europeen is french, espanol or geman, but they can xD

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,743 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: secret street parralel to jalan petaling/chinatown?

Possibly because other nationalities are a little more cautious and listen to the advice of their elders and/or locals. Just a thought. ;-)