We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

Hi all, I've done a search on the KL forum to try and find some answers but lots of old info and would like a 2011 update if you don't mind.

Coming to KL in March for the first time and will want to purchase duty free perfume (always get some at Changi when I pass through Singapore but wasn't sure about KL - flying in/out LCCT). Usually the popular brands - Dior, Chanel, Armani etc. Where should I buy them?

Then skincare and cosmetics - again maybe Dior or Chanel, definitely Clinique (I use their compact), or other French brands such as Darphin? I see MAC mentioned a lot on the forum but I don't normally wear a lot of make-up and have never braved the rather intimidating staff at the MAC counter in David Jones!! (I'm nearly 50 and on the large side so I think they think I'm not worth the trouble!!)

Look forward to any advice - with thanks as always...and Happy Australia Day to you fellow Aussies out there!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

@TanyaMumOfTwo, for those brands- Dior, Chanel, Armani-the Duty free shop in LCCT carries them-actually , the prices in duty free shop is the same downtown as perfume is duty free in Malaysia.

Having said that, there is a down town shop known as "SaSa" where their perfumes are even cheaper than duty free prices,but their product range is limited. They do not carry Chanel and Dior.Armani- yes, but also not all the range.

As for skin care and cosmetics-- very limited range in duty free shop, but if you find carefully, the gem is the beauty packs,where prices are cheaper than down town. As advised, particularly for cosmetics- get this at the shop on your left, before heading to immigration- on air side shop- cosmetics range is disappointing(my wife learnt the lesson).

This also applies for L'Occitane products.

particularly for cosmetics--one needs to go to the beauty counter in department stores,as the tone of colour they carry is only suitable for Asian skin tones.

Since you mention that you get yours in Changi,then please manage your expectations, as advised in a thread, prices of perfume and skin care and cosmetics are higher in KL in comparison to Singapore duty free.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

Hi,

I must admit that perfume and makeup isn't one of my strong points. Particularly high end stuff. This, coupled with an earlier admission that I'm not into shoes must be making TA female readers wonder why I'm letting the side down!!!!

Having said that, I found every day items were WAY cheaper in KL than in melbourne. Most chemists had great prices on Olay and Nivea, and I picked up some lóreal and maybelline makeup products for a steal. If you use any of these everyday products, don't forget to check the out.

Kerrie

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

Thanks for all the extra info everyone - I'll keep an eye out for the "packs" duty free "land side" and any specials in department stores, and see if I can find SaSa for a look as well. I do sometimes used Olay Regenerist and Maybelline make-up so I will have a look in the chemists as well for these lower end brands. Any particular chemist "name" I should look out for?

I'm not back through Changi until 2012 - so if I don't find what I need in KL it might be strawberrynet for me! I am into Bali in October but I'm not thinking their duty free will be any better than LCCT shops/KL department stores. Cheers again everyone:)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
14,025 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

Hi again Tanya

Watsons is a chain of pharmacies throughout a number of countries in south east asia. Most of the stores carry a fairly good range of cosmetics.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

Thanks again Travelkat - I'll look out for a Watsons then:) Cheers for now!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

watsons and gaurdian chemists in K.L have some brilliant offers my daughter laura cannot use spray deodarant so i always stock up on rollon deodarants for her especialy Nivea, which she loves , if i was you id have a walk around and see the offers they have on

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

Will do maggieomx - as my daughter (Laura!!) has a shopping list for me too (being the poor Uni student she is, I doubt I'll be seeing any financial contributions!). Cheers:)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

haha my laura has just finished uni and is working as a staff nurse near home shes always crying poverty!!!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

If you've been to SaSa in other Asian countries like Singapore or Hong Kong, you might be underwhelmed. Prices and range in the KL version aren't as good :(

Watsons is a great chemist chain, and "Caring" is another chain in KL. They stock major Western brands and also very high quality Japanese cosmetics such as Kate, a lower-priced version of Kanebo, and also other brands made by Shiseido. Great quality and cheap, check them out!

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Genuine perfumes, cosmetics & skincare...Dior, Clinique etc?

Thanks Bimdonesia - will do!! Will be happy to stock up on a few lower end cosmetic things for my daughter at least...and will still see if any department stores can help out on the top end lines. But will have my trusty strawberrynet prices to hand before I buy!!:)