We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

I am back in KL this week rather unexpectedly for business reasons. I always hated catching taxis here but when I was leaving a client, Janet, the lovely receptionist called a taxi for me back to my hotel. I had thought that this would be expensive but it's not at all expensive and the only difference is that the driver adds an extra RM3 to the meter charges! This saves the annoying hassle of finding a taxi near KLCC that will actually USE THE METER!

So you now have 4 taxi options in KL, which you can use in any combination:

1. Hail a taxi from the street and risk being ripped off (very very likely, especially in Bukit Bintang, KLCC or anywhere where tourists go)

2. Take one of the hotel taxis where the metered fare is roughly double that of a normal taxi

3. At main train/air terminals, buy a fixed-price taxi coupon from the taxi counter to where you want to go (wonderful idea, but you got to be near a big travel terminal)

4. Call a taxi where you will definitely get charged by the meter but it costs an extra RM 3 upfront. The taxi companies I use are 0362592020 and 0390575757. You will also need a local Malaysian mobile or landline phone contact number for them to ring back.

Oh, and the cheapest phone SIM option is TuneTalk from AirAsia. Despite all the mobile phone kiosks telling you it's difficult to recharge TuneTalk, all you have to do is simply go to one of the many MyNews kiosks. I think you can buy it from some AirAsia places (I got mine from one of the people organising my local itinerary). I only loaded RM 10 into it and it has been fine for a week!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

Actually, it's an extra RM2, not RM3. There're also a couple of cab companies will (almost) immediately tell you if a cab's available so no frustrating wait whilst the operator tries (and no call-back either!!).

SW: 03 26936211

Cityline: 03 41425566

Cabbies who take what we call "radio calls" will always use the meter. And the RM2 is added to the final metered fare.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

Being local, I drive; but whenever I do need a taxi, i always radio-call. As Jules says, its RM2 and so far they have always used the meter for me.

Here's a list of phone numbers:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298310-c147315/Selan…

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,772 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

I used TuneTalk once and also satisfied with it. I have the SIM with me here in Manila but I guess I can't use it anymore when I travel to Malaysia as it is almost 4 months already.

UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

You are right that it's just an extra RM2 - the meter always start at RM3 but in a normal taxi, it starts at RM1 so I was a bit confused. It is well worth paying this little fee though. I had been quoted between RM25-RM50 by almost every taxi to go from an office near Masjid Jamek to KLCC but when I finally found a metered taxi, the fare was only RM8. I would have preferred even the monorail or LRT but I was carrying so much stuff and the taxis just seem to want to take advantage of a foreigner who obviously needs some help. Surely this is the wrong way to attract visitors to this city?

Also, the radio-call cars tend to be a little cleaner and tidier. Is there any email or phone number to call to complain about taxis that won't use their meters? I get so annoyed that I sometimes feel I would not mind acting as "bait" or something like that to catch these unscrupulous drivers.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

Base fare's RM3; 10 sen per 25 metre; 10 sen per 20 second wait. Radio calls: add an extra RM2 on top of the meter.

Well technically, there IS a complaint hotline. But does it work? Nah. And even if it did, I really wouldn't bother ... no follow-through with complaints: be it to the police or to the transport authority or cab company. Until and unless they actually follow though with complaints, tourists and residents (well those who take cabs, like yours truly) will have to be knowledgeable with routes so cabbies will not take advantage.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
318 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

I'm curious about your mobile usage, do you use it just within KL or are you calling the UK?

THanks

Jo

UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

I used it mostly to call people in offices in KL. In the end, I had to top it up with another RM 10 as I had to call other KL mobile phones, especially when I got totally lost in in a place called Kepong (one client is a rather large local supermarket chain). So RM 25 (initially RM 5 credit plus 2 top ups) lasted me over 10 days and I must have spent easily over an hour on the phone.

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

If anyone has had any luck what so ever making a complaint regarding taxis and getting a reply/result should get a medal.

If they wont use the meter get out and find one that will.......

As for taxi drivers doing a disservice to visitors to the city, KL is not along with unscrupulous taxi drivers, however we can not put them all in the same frame.

Acting as 'bait' not quite sure what you mean by that?

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

...sorry that should of read 'alone' with unscrupulous taxi drivers...

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KL Taxi and Phone SIM Tips

We will be in Kuala Lumpur on 26th Dec'2010 for one day and would like to do most of the places (mainly shopping malls) by taxi. Do radio cabs come to pick you up from malls etc?