We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi fare to penang

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
taxi fare to penang

What is the estimated taxi fare to penang from KL.what are the other suggestions.3 big suitcases to go along???

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi fare to penang

hi

I wouldn't recommend taking a taxi from KL to Penang, you'll be a nervous wreck by the time you get there!

I suggest you fly with airasia or mas. Alternatively, bus it with aoroline (https://www.aeroline.com.my/) or nice (http://www.parkmayberhad.com/nice.html) but take an mp3 player as the tv can be v loud. the bus fare is about RM50 one way (that's about US$15).

Or you can hire a car and stop off on the way at frazer's hill, ipoh and other places. car hire is about RM300 per day.

have fun

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi fare to penang

If you are going for the scenery, take the bus instead.

It'a about MYR30 per person (plusliner and consortium are the most reliable) or MYR 50++ for (nice).

3 Big suit cases is not much problem..

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi fare to penang

The quoted taxi fare will be about rm200.

BUT, you can hire a taxi by the hour for rm25 - the drive to Penang will take several hours.

Bus/coach is simple - but loud and you cannot move around.

Why not go by train- seats are comfortable and you can wander the train.

You get off the other end at Butterworth and get on the ferry (cost is minimal). Ferry crossing is fun and takes about 10 mins.

DO NOT GET A TAXI - they will rip you off and the journey is much longer as they have to go via Penang bridge.

Once in Georgetown you can easily get a taxi - they do not use meters so pay 2 thirds (60%) of what they ask for (as a fare). Agree the fare BEFORE you get in the taxi.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi fare to penang

Hii guys thanks for the tips.

1.where do I catch the buses in KL for penang.I plan to stay in the KLCC area.

2.are there day trains to penang from KL.

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi fare to penang

To get buses from KL to penang. you have to buy ticket from KTM Kuala Lumpur station (plusliner or Nice) or Puduraya (known as Plaza Rakyat) bus station, here have many buses to Penang every 30 minutes but get Consortium, other bus company unreliable.

For Penang to KL by train. Not sure about day train but last time I use is around 9-10pm train from Butterwoth and reach KL around 7-8am following day.

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi fare to penang

My advice is, if you want to take train and bus.

Take train from KL-Penang and Bus from Penang-KL.

The reason is, Penang bus service is much reliable (more honest) and chances for you to take bus that drop multiple state is less.

Btw Bus (4++ Hours) Train (10++ Hours) and Flight (2-3 hours because you have to check in and reach KLIA earlier)

7. Re: taxi fare to penang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 04:47