We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unusual Kuala Lumpur: Beyond the Tourist Spots?

Sunny Southern...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Unusual Kuala Lumpur: Beyond the Tourist Spots?

I hate to shop. I have no interest in visiting fabulous shopping malls.

* Where would I go in KL to attend a poetry reading by a Malaysian poet?

* Are there bars and cafes where KL's journalists hang out?

* Which bars and cafes are popular with students?

* Which are the best galleries for seeking the work of contemporary Malaysian artists?

* Is there anything to see of political interest in KL?

* Does KL have "artsy" or bohemian areas?

* Which neighborhood or area would give me a good understanding of day-to-day life for average KL residents?

* What unusual places of interest would you suggest that aren't often visited by tourists?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
509 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unusual Kuala Lumpur: Beyond the Tourist Spots?

Hamudi,

For contemporary Msian art:

National Art Gallery,

Galeri Seni Maya (in Bangsar), or

Galeriwan

http:www.asianinfo.org/asianinfo/art/painting/malaysia.htm

We have a National Press Club on Jalan Tangsi, Kuala Lumpur. However, am not sure if journalists regularly hang out there. I do know that they have various functions being held there.

If you are really interested in meeting or maybe just speaking to some journalists, writers, editors etc. , I would be happy to pass you some contacts as I have friends in that line. Just send me a private message and I'll see what I can do. Maybe they can give you more info as to where to go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Unusual Kuala Lumpur: Beyond the Tourist Spots?

You should ask about your requests on Malaysiakini. Think that would be right up your Jalan !

Maryland
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unusual Kuala Lumpur: Beyond the Tourist Spots?

Is there anything to see of political interest in KL?

the answer is Merdeka square

http://www.malaysiasite.nl/merdekaeng.htm

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unusual Kuala Lumpur: Beyond the Tourist Spots?

haha, maybe you would have more fun in New York?

but seriously, Kuala Lumpur is a melting pot of the 3 major races Chinese, Indian, Malay and and the rest (Eurasians, Expatriates like Japanese, Americans, Italians...etc). So you would find mixtures and influences of these major races.

So if you want to see an artsy city of of artists, poets, art galleries..etc well, you might be a tad disappointed. Yes we do have some of these, but I think we still have a certain distance to go before we can catch up to the west as being 'cultured'. Even our famous phihamonic orchestra comprises of mainly foreigners.

I would suggest instead to focus your visit of KL around our history, and how the different races and colonization by the British has influenced what we are today. I'm not really into this sort of thing so maybe someone can give specifics. Some of the places I mention here may require a short flight.

#1 Admire our architecture, Chinese, Islamic, Indian, Western, Finance (ugly structures to maximise profits), Mega (structures to show Malaysia is great)..etc Places to go include Putrajaya, Chinatown, Masjid Jamek, Malacca, Penang...etc). If I get my history right, the E&O Hotel in Penang is where they shot the movie South Pacific.

#2 Admire our beaches. Malaysia has some of the finest dive sites in the world including the world's top wall dive in Sipadan.

#3 Admire our forests (before they are deforested). There are pretty nice nature walks in our "protected" forests checkout FRIM, also we have nice highlands like the camerons and frasers for one to see tea plantations and take in the mountain airs. The Fireflies in Kuala Selangor is also worth a look.

#4 Try our food. Being a melting pot, you get very nice food here. Even the chinese food here is a melting pot of the Chinese immigrants who came here to sow their fortunes, Hainanese, Cantonese, Hokkien, Hakka...etc and same for Indians and even the local Malays.

#5 Of course we do have our artists. The art museum and the handicraft museum will give you an idea.

Hope that helps put things in perspective.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
509 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unusual Kuala Lumpur: Beyond the Tourist Spots?

Hamudi,

Just thought of something, the 'Homestay' programme. Check it out on the internet. I believe it's quite popular. You stay with a host family and live the local life.

Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unusual Kuala Lumpur: Beyond the Tourist Spots?

I have recently returned from KL and I visited Kampung Baru to get a taste of what malay life is like. We were certainly the only tourists there at that time.

7. Re: Unusual Kuala Lumpur: Beyond the Tourist Spots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 19:49