We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it allowed to bring in Alcohol to Kuala Lumpur?

Freiburg (Elbe...
2 posts
Is it allowed to bring in Alcohol to Kuala Lumpur?

I will be travelling to Singapore soon and would like to know if I am allowed to bring alcohol since I will be arriving in Kuala Lumpur to a connecting flight to Singapore?

6 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
237 reviews
1. Re: Is it allowed to bring in Alcohol to Kuala Lumpur?

There is no duty free allowance for alcohol in Singapore. Any alcohol you bring you will have to declare and pay duty on.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,258 posts
170 reviews
2. Re: Is it allowed to bring in Alcohol to Kuala Lumpur?

I thought you were allowed to take 1lt spirits or 2lt of wine or beer into Singapore, duty-free ?

Edited: 26 August 2018, 20:49
Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Is it allowed to bring in Alcohol to Kuala Lumpur?

newasia-singapore.com/travel_information/dri…

@ jaynewcastle, if you travel from Malaysia to Singapore there is mo duty free allowance.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,996 posts
209 reviews
4. Re: Is it allowed to bring in Alcohol to Kuala Lumpur?

You cannot take in alcohol if arriving from Malaysia. Otherwise see here https:/…duty-free-concession-and-gst-relief

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,258 posts
170 reviews
5. Re: Is it allowed to bring in Alcohol to Kuala Lumpur?

Appreciate the clarification, thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Is it allowed to bring in Alcohol to Kuala Lumpur?

If you're merely transiting in KL, i.e. flights booked on the same ticket with luggage checked to Singapore, staying within the airport transit area and not passing through Malaysian immigration, you are not considered to have entered Malaysia. You will be able to enjoy the duty-free concession in Singapore. Keep all your boarding passes for verification purposes.

If you have to pass through Malaysian immigration and get a Malaysian stamp on your passport during your layover, you will have entered Malaysia and will not be eligible for the Singapore duty-free concession. You will have to declare any alcohol in your possession and pay the applicable duty.

Reply to: Is it allowed to bring in Alcohol to Kuala Lumpur?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted