We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore vs KL

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
44 reviews
Singapore vs KL

Any thoughts on which place to visit? have never really been to SE asia before and these 2 cities aren't really my first choice but are my only options because of logistical issues. i don't really know anything about these 2 except that they are big cities with tall buildings. I don't really have any budget limitations even though I am cheaper by nature lol. would like to incorporate at least some outdoor time like the beach or hiking in a trail or forest etc. will be spending probably 3 days total. thanks in advance

16 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,375 posts
243 reviews
1. Re: Singapore vs KL

Hi

Where are you going to after visiting either of these cities to get your beach fix?

As you are already aware both are big cities with lots of traffic and crowds of people.

Singapore is much more expensive for accommodation, food and alcohol. Spotlessly clean with heavy fines for littering. Lots of wonderful shopping/ shopping malls, beautiful buildings, loads to see and do.

Kuala Lumpur is more or less on the same lines but I find it not as "clinical" as Singapore. Hotels and F&B are cheaper. Lots of shopping malls, manic traffic, amazing buildings and lots of things to see and do.

Perhaps you should do some reading up for yourself on both of these great cities and see what really appeals to you.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 22:12
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
158 reviews
2. Re: Singapore vs KL

Three days is hardly any time. If budget worries you when there, best go for KL.

I'm sure you can find things to do for three days. Get a hotel with a nice pool!

Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Singapore vs KL

Both amazing cities and you'll have a great time in either location. I second Steady's analysis and would probably favour KL. Lots of interesting sights - Batu caves are a favourite of mine. Brilliant shopping and fabulous street food - check out Jalan Alor for great atmosphere in the evening until late. There are lots of options for hiking like Bukit Gasing. Enjoy!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
193 reviews
4. Re: Singapore vs KL

If you do Batu Caves then you can combine there with a hike to Kanching Waterfall which is 10-15minutes away by cab for your nature hike.

In the city centre you have the Bukit Nanas nature trail too.

No beach in Kuala Lumpur though. Closest is Port Dickson but I won't want to be there if you have 3 days only.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,467 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Singapore vs KL

Add me in as well for Steady’s observation. There is no wrong answer, Singapore is very organised, maybe a bit too organised for my liking. For your first time in this region, then Singapore would be easy but is expensive compared to KL. Both very safe, I do love KL though.

Cheers

Sean

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Singapore vs KL

I expect that, if you asked the same question on the Singapore forum, you would get answers preferring that city so there really is no ‘wrong answer’ as Sean says. I also agree with Steady - Singapore is somewhat ‘sterile’ when compared to KL. We have visited Singapore twice: the first time we didn’t enjoy it at all but decided to give it another go a couple of years ago and we still didn’t enjoy it. We’re in KL at the moment, this is our fifth visit, and we very much hope that it won’t be our last.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Singapore vs KL

"Singapore is very organised, maybe a bit too organised for my liking"

Careful Sean ... we will will be innundated by the defenders of Singapore.

In my opinion.. you are so right. KL anytime.

Great value accommodation, cheap transport, spectacular food at good prices, the Bird Park..the list goes on and still maintains that exotic feel.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 06:23
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,467 posts
84 reviews
8. Re: Singapore vs KL

Hi EDT, I always put on my steel suit when I answer this question as I know invariably there will be a fan of Singapore or two leaping to its defence. Give me a trip to Singapore and I will take it. Give me a choice between Singapore and KL , I will choose KL every time. Usually the point of difference pointed out to me is the transport system in Singapore and I agree it is first class, but I have nearly always been happy with the KL transport system anyway.

The value in KL is amazing , the people friendly, the food devine and it has that Asian buzz that is so important for my family and I. Kinda wish I was there now we are talking about it, oh well just have to wait until January. 162 days to go, not that I am counting 😀

Cheers

Sean

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
188 posts
9. Re: Singapore vs KL

Another vote for KL, I'm going tomorrow, was there last month for my first visit, alcohol is on the expensive side because it is heavily taxed, lots of good bars on Changkat Bukit Bintang.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,467 posts
84 reviews
10. Re: Singapore vs KL

Have fun pasig.

Cheers

Sean

Reply to: Singapore vs KL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted