We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 days trip to Malaysia with kids

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
10 posts
15 days trip to Malaysia with kids

I’m heading to Malaysia with my family 4 Adults and 3 kids (8,6 and 3y) for 15 days. During August. I am looking for iteranary suggestion. Initially I am planning for 5 nights in KL then 3 nights in Penang 2 in langkawi then fly to johor for 3 nights and back to KL. Is this doable? Should I go for johor first and then Penang/langkawi. Or skip langkawi and go for an eastern Island close by johor

5 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,349 posts
238 reviews
1. Re: 15 days trip to Malaysia with kids

The only way you can get from Langkawi to Johor is to fly back to KL.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
556 posts
206 reviews
2. Re: 15 days trip to Malaysia with kids

Why do you want to go to Johor?

Honestly, i think it's too many places, even for 15 days. Maybe KL to Penang and then the ferry ride to Langkawi. Keep it simple. Travel to too many places can be trying on little kids. They will be grumpy. That makes grumpy adults too.

How will you travel between KL and Penang? Bus? Car? Fly? It's a fair distance. Traveling there and return time will eat up some of your vacation days if you travel by bus.

Taichung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
728 posts
61 reviews
3. Re: 15 days trip to Malaysia with kids

I assume you're going to Johor for Legoland for the kids, right? If so, upon arrival I would switch to a domestic flight and go there first and get your visit off to a fun start for them. It's a short flight. From there fly north. You could do Langkawi/Penang or Penang/Langkawi, up to you. Then save your last 4 days or so for a relaxing KL visit. You could even consider taking the train down from Butterworth; the kids might like a train ride. Once you get to KL you'll discover there's plenty for kids to do there, too!

The east coast is great but 1) you don't have a lot of time, and 2) it's a little inconvenient to get to.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
81 reviews
4. Re: 15 days trip to Malaysia with kids

There is only 1 flight between Langkawi & Johor's Senai Airport..

Airasia @ 340pm , so u don't have any choice...

I checked flights for September & basic prices ranged from 104MYR ~ 300MYR..

Choose weekdays that are not during school holidays or holidays & holiday eves..

There are more flights from Penang to Senai Airport..

Bus journey over such a long distance(irregardless Penang or Langkawi) for kids sounds horrible & there are no premium comfortable buses for any bus routescoming from the North to Johor state..

If you are thinking about travelling to Tioman island on the same day that u arrive at Senai Airport from Langkawi , drop that idea as there are no night ferries..

For cheap travelling , take the Causeway Link bus to Larkin Bus Terminal...

Spend a bit more for faster travelling using taxi/Grab to JB Larkin Bus Terminal..

U may be able to make it for the Plusliner Bus departing from JB Larkin Bus Terminal departing at 645pm to Mersing..

If u manage to catch the bus , stay overnight in a simple hotel in Mersing town area so that u can easily & relaxedly travel to the jetty following morning .

If u missed the Plusliner 645pm bus to Mersing , u have no choice but to stay overnight in Johor Bahru..

Don't bore yourselves to death by staying nearby Larkin Bus Terminal..

Everyone has different preferences but i've always like staying in the area around City Square & Komtar as there are shopping malls, cheap coffeshops , expensive restaurants, clothing boutiques , money changers , phone accessories shops , internet cafes & just about everything i need when i travel..

Cheers

Scooby

Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: 15 days trip to Malaysia with kids

To maximise your time, take flights for all sectors. Take a flight to Johor on arrival day in Malaysia.

Your itinerary’ will look something like this. Only you will know whether your children can be chirpy or grumpy for this itinerary.

Day1 - arrival and take flight to Johor.

Day 2-3 full days if going to Legoland and Hello Kitty.

Day 4 mid morning flight to Penang

Day 4- 7 in Penang

Day 8 mid morning flight to Langkawi

Day 8- 10 in Langkawi

Day 11 mid morning flight to KL

Day 11- 15 in KL

Day 15 departure

Reply to: 15 days trip to Malaysia with kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted