We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pasar malam

Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
8 reviews
Pasar malam

After being scammed yesterday trying to get to the taman Connaught pasar malam, I thought I had better check with you folks first.

My daughters would really love to experience the night market. Where can we find one that is open?

16 replies to this topic
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
116 reviews
1. Re: Pasar malam

Here's the list of Pasar Malam in Kuala Lumpur.

…blogspot.com/2016/…

The website is in malay, but the day of the week is stated in english with the locations below it, so not hard to understand.

Possibly consider Lorong Tuanku Abdul Rahman at the Masjid Jamek area on Saturday or Telawi, Bangsar on Sunday.

Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Pasar malam

Thank you.

For tonight (Friday), these are the locations listed in the blog you linked.

Hari : Jumaat (Friday)

Lokasi :

Taman Melati, Gombak

Taman Desa Off Jalan Klang Lama

Taman Mastiara, Segambut

Jalan Sibu 6, Taman Wahyu

Taman Segar, Cheras

Taman Kok Doh, Segambut

Taman Sri Endah, Sungai Besi

Jalan Ang Seng, Brickfield

Bandar Baru Sentul

Kampung Cheras Baru, Cheras

Kg Kerinchi, Bangsar (J)

Jalan 20/2A, Taman Wilayah Selayang

Jalan 31/10A, Taman Perindustrian IKS

Which ones would have the items we are interested in? We are looking for “food” key chains, Pajamas, teenage/young adult clothing (non-Muslim wear).

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
599 posts
209 reviews
3. Re: Pasar malam

Try the market in Bangsar on Sunday. It has flowers, food, pyjamas, shoes, fruits, stuff.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
599 posts
209 reviews
4. Re: Pasar malam

Btw, how did you get scammed?

Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Pasar malam

How did we get scammed? Haha

The first indication we missed was the knitted cap over the top of the meter. The top half of the meter was covered. I could see the horse trotting or galloping depending on how fast he was going.

We asked him to take us to the pasta malam at taman Connaught. With traffic after about 45 mins he said we were about 7.5 km there. He then added that maybe it’s not open. Hmmmm. So I think he knew it was a once a week affair but didn’t tell us if the possibility it may not be open.

Got there and of course, it’s closed. He asked if we wanted another pasar malam. By that time it was past 7:30. We said no. To the hotel please.

He drove around. We didn’t know where. And he took us to some street and obviously sold Malay wear. We were not interested. Hotel please we said.

We finally got to the hotel. Almost 9pm. When we were almost there , he pulled the cap over the meter way down. Lol

MYR 150 he said. Hmmmm

By that time, I was car sick and tired. So I paid MYR 150.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
599 posts
209 reviews
6. Re: Pasar malam

Hi, sorry to hear this.

Be sure to download a Grab car application. The grab car is safer and cheaper. Payment can be made thru your credit card if u want. Don't take a metered taxi again!

england
Level Contributor
781 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Pasar malam

Please do not use taxis to get around, you will always get scammed, use Grab - cheap and you know how much it cost before you get in and no negotiating on fares. Safe, comfortable and reliable.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
85 reviews
8. Re: Pasar malam

Unfortunately many of the taxi drivers in KL, rather than lift their game to compete with Grab still insist on ripping off tourists. I feel very sorry for the honest taxi drivers out there, and they are out there, suffer for the behaviour of the crooks. The problem in the old days was the drivers around Petaling St and their refusal to use the meter. Now it is far worse. Get a SIM and download the Grab app these days is the way to go.

Cheers

Sean

Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Pasar malam

Will Grab work with Canadian phone number? We did not get a local SIM.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
599 posts
209 reviews
10. Re: Pasar malam

Well, I guess none of us here in KL have tried; so we don't really know.

It's very costly and a local SIM should be used. You can download the application from wifi at your hotel perhaps. And if you must use that Cdn number, well when the number is received by a driver, the number may not be recognizable, jumbled up perhaps. So the driver may not be willing to take your booking. I'm just guessing. Don't take my word for it!

The number that is received by a Grab driver should be traceable; for the driver's protection also. It goes both ways.

Reply to: Pasar malam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted