We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim card for Malaysia

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
Sim card for Malaysia

Hi all,

I will be travelling to Malaysia in November.

few days in KL, then Langkawi, Penang and finish of in Singapore.

I previously travelled to Vietnam and was sold a dodgy simcard at the airport. Im going to be staying at the Traders hotel so not far from KLCC.

can anyone advise me what is the best simcard to get that would ideally cover me for all of Malaysia.

I would probably think i need around 2GB.

thanks for your help

7 replies to this topic
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
181 reviews
1. Re: Sim card for Malaysia

top 3 brands in the country : maxis, celcom and digi.

there is kiosk at the airport. they can load it up for you and have it tested to show its working before you leave the airport for total peace of mind. No dodgy sim card here. you can compare the packages but pricing gap is really close so choose whichever that appeals to you.

Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Sim card for Malaysia

Got a digi sim card paid 18rm, 7 days validity with 1.5 gb open data with other data freebies and call/sms allownce Works well, able to use it for grab, google map and searching for nearby places.

You have to register it first though to have it activated. The sales people who sold me the sim did it for me, they just asked for my passport to register and activate it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
82 reviews
3. Re: Sim card for Malaysia

We used Maxis, worked great for us.

Cheers

Sean

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Sim card for Malaysia

Yes, use Maxis

Ludhiana, India
1 post
5. Re: Sim card for Malaysia

Does my Jit sim work in Malaysia and Singapore? I have been told by Jim representative that it will when International roaming is turned on in the hand set .

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
82 reviews
6. Re: Sim card for Malaysia

International roaming can be very expensive compared to just getting a local SIM.

Cheers

Sean

England, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Sim card for Malaysia

Hi all

We have just been in Malaysia for one week. We purchased a "Tune Talk" Sim - 7 day package with 15gb data and 30mins free minutes for 25RM at KLIA (airport). We got 4G everywhere, even on the top of Penang Hill and KL tower. Would recommend.

Reply to: Sim card for Malaysia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted